Changing GPS

BenB

Reaction score
So I'm already looking into a changing the Garmin 100 that it came with. Is there anything I can get that will let me keep the current wiring, ie plug and play. Looking for something with a little more options. I understand that I will need to do some dash cutting. Any ideas

I don,'t know what your dash looks like, but when I did mine it was plug and play. I installed a Garmin 431s. It used the same transducer. I have pics in my gallery.

I can cut the dash to make most fit, I was more worried about wiring. I am probably going to mount the 100 in the back somewhere

I also put in a 431S. The hardest part of the install was cutting the dash. The wiring was incredibly easy and the transducer was the same. My gallery also has a picture of the final install. I'm not sure why you would also mount the 100. The newer GPS will have both charts and sonar to replace the functionality of the 100. Just keep is as a backup or give it to a friend! Good luck!

I am going to mount the 100 in the back where I fish to keep an eye on depth and for marking fish. I want the nicer one at the helm to spot fish/depth/navigation

Neat idea! I mostly drink beer from the back so never thought of that! Let me know how you handle the wiring. Separate power feeds and I'm not sure you can share a transducer so you may have to install two? Interesting project.

I will take pics as I start the process. I was thinking I had to do two separate transducers as well. Still researching which fishfinder/GPS to go with. If I have to redo the wiring to the helm I might as well go with a Lowrance big screen.

Hehe, might as well.!!! :D

I also installed a Garmin 431s. The wiring harness from the Echo100 has a quick disconnect. I just wired the 431 right to the harness and plugged back in. The tranducer is a single beam on the Echo100 and should be changed withe the dual beam on the 431s. It is really easy took about 15 minutes to change. Cutting the dash hardest part and only because its messy. Good Luck!

My boat came with the Garmin 430s and I really like it. Not sure what the 431s has in it that mine doesn't. Mine does not fit in the dash though....it has an external top mount bracket at the right side of my helm that my GPS can be removed from. Anyway, back to your question....I really like mine.....especially when I didn't know it even came with my boat (I bought it used two years ago). Then as I was signing the paperwork at the marina the salesman brought it to me....in the original box....like new. Bonus. Any idea how much those were brand new?

I have the 431s mounted in the dash and it's fine for me . It was under $400.00 last year.

Back