Changing props, need advice

Reaction score
I have a Tri toon either FS2575 (uncertain on the letters). 2001 boat and motor. Merc 125HP 2 stroke. Runs well, 5000 RPM at about 30 MPH tops with slightly dinged aluminum 3 blade 15" pitch.

I want to get a stainless prop as I have lots of low water spots (mud and sand, no rocks), and the current prop has nicks and dings (not bad, it will be my spare).

I have looked on many sites, and does anyone have advice about stainless props? Mercury vs off brand, and there are many Merc's. The Vengeance is (as I understand) basically a stainless "aluminum style" prop, entry level, but may be good enough.

I am happy with current performance, but if an extra $100 will get me more with another higher end stainless prop, I would do it...ie the Fury.

I have 40 years of boating knowledge and even worked for boat stores decades ago, but always with high speed (ie 80MPH) outboards or twin mercruiser Sea Rays. This is my first 'toon (which I absolutely love BTW).

I want bang for the buck and all around fit mainly.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

I have the same thing going I would like to figure out if I can gain any mph by changing props on my boat it has a 15 pitch on it now and Im running about 38-39 mph I was told top end would be around 43 so I would really like to see what I can to to gain the mph any help would be great. not sure what top rpm is will look next time its out

Last edited by a moderator:
Calimus: You're running what all S models are running with the F150--40 mph with a 15 pitch prop.

I don't see the SPS hull getting any more speed than the Express Tube, and 2 lifting strakes on the center tube gets the nosecones out of the water just like having strakes on all toons.

The twin ellipticals with strakes is the one that'll give you the fastest speeds, but I doubt it'll handle a fast, tight turn like your boat will.

There are many good props on the market today and many will work well for you, but IMO, the most bang for the buck in a stainless steel prop is the Solas.  They manufacturer many OEM props for Suzuki and Honda.  I've tested many of each brand and have found the performance of the Solas to rival most Mercury or Yamaha props.......at a fraction of the cost.

Boats.net has great prices.

Our family owns 2 SPS's.  One fully straked and the other with strakes on the center tube only.  The fully straked boat gets up and out of the water better than the other at cruising speeds on up.  Add some weight and it's even more noticeable. It's more stable too while idling along in the rough water. It doesn't rock as much.  Sounds crazy, but it's true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back