Christmas light setup for my 16' Bennington Electric

Jayaz

Reaction score
Can I attach my inverter for LED Christmas lights to my 4 battery series in my Bennington Electric pontoon boat? In the past I have used a separate 12v battery.

Can I attach my inverter for LED Christmas lights to my 4 battery series in my Bennington Electric pontoon boat? In the past I have used a separate 12v battery.

Id be concerned if you are using an inverter (120vac) on the boat. I’d stick to 12v lighting

been there, done that... 120v inverter....

Here's my advice:
  • you need a pure sine wave inverter. stepped sine will likely damage the lights immediately or over time
  • You need sea tow, good paddles, or multiple battery banks. separate house and starting, and run the lights off the house
  • You may damage your alternator. especially if you have a crappy inverter and run it while running the alternator to charge. the battery banks
  • You need more battery than you think, especially with a crappy inverter

It can be done, but you are really better off getting a "battery generator" like the ones that EGO makes or power tool brands make that use your tool batteries to power AC. Or, stick with a full 12v system. Unless you really understand power systems, the chances of draining a battery or damaging components are a lot higher than you think. Ask me how I know... ;)

Thanks, I put a 12v battery on and it lasted for over 3 hours which is more than enough time for my use on a small manmade urban lake here in gilbert AZ. This simple solution is best for my limited knowledge

Good idea, sounds like you kept your starting and "house" (load) batteries separate and didn't actually connect the load battery to the rest of the 12v system.

I used a small 250 watt pure sine wave inverter to run both lights and blow-ups for the Xmas parade - 2 years, no issues at all. I do have a dual battery system, so felt if I did run into issues I could simply unplug and switch.

Attachments

• 2022-12-03 19.08.20.jpg
    2022-12-03 19.08.20.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 12
Back