Cleaning inside the tubes

24slxowner

Reaction score
[SIZE=10.5pt]I have a 2013 24slx with twin elliptical freshwater performance package with the under deck wave shield. After some flooding last year. Some trash (leafs, sticks, etc.) was wash down the river and ended up in the lake and got down in the inner tubes. I have looked and it doesn't seem a way to get this mess out. Can the outer trim on the outside be taken of to get to this mess out or is there another way to reach it. Any help would be appreciated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks, [/SIZE]

Sorry, but maybe I can make it a little clearer. Under the boat if you are going over the top of the the tube toward the outside, there is a cavity half way down where all the trash has accumulated. You can not get your hand to it and you can't wash it out with a hose. I was wondering if the outside trim could be unbolted to get it from the outside or if there is another way I don't know about. This seems like it would be a common problem if the lake would happen to get a little trashy from flooding with debris floating on top of the water.

Thanks

Yes, you can remove your outer skirts. Lots of bolts. Use two box-end 9/16ths wrenches. You will gain access too the majority of the upper tube areas.

I don't think you can unbolt the trim (on the S model).  My outer trim on my 24SSL is rivited on...  Of course you could re-rivit it back on after you are done if you take it off.  I would probably bolt it back on though, as mine vibrates some up front where it's loose and it makes noise occassionally. 

I'm still a little confused though.  If you can't get your hand or a hose in there, how did you notice the trash was there?  Still not fully understanding where the mess is at.  Where are you standing/positioned when you can see the trash?

The reason I'm confused is because boats float.  In a flood too.  So not sure how this stuff would have gotten way up under where I think you are saying it is...

Any chance you can take a photo?  We'd like to help, just not 100% sure where the problem is.

I do have a wave shield underneath the boat and I do trailer the boat to different lakes. I'm in North Carolina and mostly boat on Lake Norman. Last May we had terrible flooding on the Catawba river which brought trash, debris, and etc. into Lake Norman. My brother lives on Lake Lookout which is above the damn which feeds Norman. His house was flooded out (two feet of water in his living room) which you can imagine the repair cost, even after insurance. I noticed the trash from running down the lake after the flooding coming from the upper part of the rear of the pontoon which have a couple holes (flat plate above the toons) evidently to release water and there was twigs, pine needles and other debris stopping the holes up. Water is churning under the boat just like on the outside of the toons, that's why I went with the wave shield, cuts down on noise and drag. If you can picture this, the pontoon is round or mine are elliptical the trash is at 10 o'clock looking at the pontoon from the front. Underneath the boat there is not enough room to get to the 10 o'clock position where the debris is because of the decking, accually you can't get past 1 o'clock. As BigBlock mentioned I might be able to remove the outer skirts which does have lots of bolts, which my slx does have, not rivet's. Can't take a picture because I can't get to it to see it.

Thanks and Happy Boating

I understand exactly where you are referring to ,I also don't believe the skirting is removable on a S .

Have you checked with your dealer to ask if it is removable ?

If you can get the skirting off the debris should just fall out .

You can try to contact Bennington ,and ask .

Here is the link to the form .

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/About-Bennington-Marine.php?content=contact_us

Back