cathole

Reaction score
I purchased my 2004 2575 RFS used and the toons have been neglected and left in a slip too long.  They have a paint on the bottom of the pontoons that has degraded over time and allowed algae to cling on.  Where there is no paint, the aluminum is stainded heavily.  I've done a number of things to clean the toons up.  

1.  Acid on lower unit to remove deposits/buildup...  poor results

2.  LLC Scum remover to remove deposits/buildup and clean toons... poor results

3.  LLC Aluminum cleaner to clean toons... brightened up the unstained parts, still needs work

4.  Coarse rotary brush on speed drill on algae buildup, mostly on painted part of toons...  removed algae and paint down to primer

5.  Purple power, mixed 5:1... did nothing 

6.  Steel wool on aluminum... takes off the stains, but takes lots of scrubbing

What can I do to speed up the process of cleaning the aluminum?  What should I do about the paint?  What would it cost to have all three toons bead blasted and repainted?  Any ideas on the deposits on the lower?  It's on there well.  Thanks.

Here's a video of me using steel wool on the aluminum...

http://youtu.be/QCLqvPinIy4

Looks pretty good after cleaning it w/the steel wool! But it might be easier using a drill or some kind of high speed buffer to expedite the process...........Do a search on this forum as well as google to see the numerous methods that people use to clean their toons w/various results...........Acid wash, toon brite, powerwashing or a combination of all. There are so many products out there.................In the 6 years I've had my boat I had the toons acid washed once and I applied Sharkhide afterwards. It has lasted although some of the Sharkhide has worn off but then again I remove the boat from the water after every use..............I would love to polish them to a mirror finish like several members on this forum have but although retired I just don't have the time..............or maybe it's the patience! Ha!

Hmm, you could try and find an up and coming Kung Fu master and teach him the value of the "wax on, wax off" motions, but with steel wool.!!!!! :D or like Daril said, the acid wash and hard work is probably more likely the best bet. as far as the bead blasting goes, seems like a good way, just don't know enough about it. The aluminum is pretty soft and thin, I know they use it on cars which are thinner, but they are also steel. Not sure on what kind of cost would be involved as well. Good luck, keep us updated! 

If there are any truck stops by you they always have guys that do alumlnum cleaning and polishing.

Any areas that you've used steel wool on will have to be redone with a scotch brite pad to remove any traces of the steel. Bead blasting would be too abrasive, soda blasting would be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZKkDYWoUqU

Last edited by a moderator:
/\/\/\ Agree with the soda blasting  or you could wet sand them with sand paper and water maybe start with 120 grit? or scotch brite pads on a DA sander might take some work out. I have not had to clean my toons yet but my bass boat when it sat in the lake for a summer the motor and fiberglass would get nasty I used a cutter cleaning polish #7http://www.autobarn.net/no-7-white-polish.html?site=google_base&gclid=CMyxqrKxzrkCFQkSMwod1hwAkA this stuff works great but leaves scratches so get a buffer. I know it sounds weird but easy off oven cleaner will take some stuff off also just try it in a spot no one can see first. 

I have used inexpensive toilet bowl cleaner in the past on my fiberglass hulls but i am new to pontoons and I too pulled mine from the river with some algae and green gunk. I was afraid to try the toilet cleaned for fear it might harm the aluminum. I will use my pressure washer and maybe test the cleaner on the inside of a toon to make sure no adverse reaction or stain. Will let you know how it works

i did try the toilet cleaner on a scotch pad it removed the algae but i could still see the waterline. I would suggest you use it sparingly and try it on a small spot first. I did not have any damage to the finish but it is still pretty strong stuff.  I also used some chrome wheel polish on a small area and it seemed to clean up the discolored waterline but took lots of rubbing. Time to ask for a buffing machine for my birthday.  What has others used to get the pontoons to shine?

I used Bio-Kleen Fiberglass cleaner Hull and RV cleaner from the scum line down.  And then I followed that with Bio-Kleen Aluma Kleen on the whole tube. 

It worked really good.  Not perfect but it looks really nice.  Below the waterline its going to scum up a week after I put it in next spring anyway, so as long as I get the scuzz off and they're clean I'm happy.  Above the waterline it looks great.  Not too much effort.  

http://www.biokleen.com/

I've used the biokleen products on my RV for a couple years and I like a product that actually works. I use the black streak remover mostly. its also biodegradable. I like their products. I haven't tried any on the toon yet tho.

I used the BioKleen Fiberglass Cleaner-Hull and Rv Cleaner on the tubes from the scum line down. Its got a small amount of acid in it.  Then I did the whole tube with the Aluma Kleen.  It looks great, not perfect but pretty damn good.  One tube takes about an hour.  I also ordered one of thier scrub brushes, Its the perfect stiffness for the job. 

Any pics? I'd be curious to see a before and after.

No pics but the stuff works.   If you decided to go with the BioKleen I'd suggest a gallon of each of the 2 products, one of thier brushes.  And a couple good spray bottles.  I'm glad its done because the weather is turning cold pretty quick.

I saw this product while surfing the web today.  http://auroramarine.com/catalog_algex.php

Check out the video, its pretty impressive.

Back