Cleaning the helm

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I did some searching but couldn't find any info on this, so sorry if this has already been covered. When I took delivery of my boat, there was a little plastic sticker on the windshield that I think said what to and what not to use to clean it. I can't remember what it said though. Is glass cleaner okay on that? And how about the rest of the helm? Glass cleaner on the metal trim and gauges? And what about the plastic helm as a whole? I use vinyl cleaner and 303 on the seats, is that good on plastic too? Or is there something better to use on the helm, gauges, windshield, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
The windshield is either Lexan or a similar polycarbonate and it is very durable and resistant to most common household chemicals and cleaners. Glass cleaners are OK, as are mild detergents for oily or greasy stains. It does scratch easily though, and darn near impossible to remove once scratched. The console is fiberglass, like a boat hull, so a good wax works great. I wax the gauges too, just make sure it is not an abrasive-type wax.

Use microfiber towels or cloth baby diapers when cleaning helm windshield and gauge faces, actually use them for whole boat. They won't scratch like typical rags will and paper towels are like sandpaper. If you want to check out some REALLY GOOD cleaning, polishing stuff, check out Adams Polishes detail stuff.

http://www.adamspolishes.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys! Come to think of it, I think it was something about paper towels or abrasives and not to use them. Time to stock up on microfiber towels. 

Anything plastic doesn't like amonia.  Don't use windex.  It will eventually cause spider cracks. There are great stories about Air Force using windex on million dollar canopies and ruining them.   I use watered down simple green. 

Back