Considering modifying the furniture mounts to get the furniture off the deck 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

JimmyC

Reaction score
I currently live in Florida and boat primarily in salt water. Every time I take my boat out, I wash it thoroughly from top to bottom. Anything that could come in contact with salt water gets a good washing.  One of the things that I have noticed is that while the fencing has spacers between the fencing and the deck so water can run off but the furniture sits directly on the deck. The furniture is starting to show some wear such as staining / mildew where it sits on the deck. I was thinking about using spacers to raise the furniture off the deck the same amount as the fencing so that water and sand could be more easily washed off the deck and prevent them from getting so dirty and collecting so much moisture after a wash or a day on the water. 

Has anyone done a mod like this? I'm sure most of you freshwater boaters don't have to wash your boats every trip but it's a necessity when boating in salt water. 

Is this mod too difficult? Worth a try?? What are your thoughts?

Something Bennington should look at for future Saltwater package models. Could be an easy modification to add "feet" to the bottom of the roto molded seat bases. As for your current configuration, I'd make sure your spacing was enough to support the current design of the seat base. I'm guessing they are made to structurally support the weight distribution sitting flush. You might void your warranty trying this one. I'd ask your dealer or drop a note or make a call to Bennington. Very good suggestion!

Definitely a large ordeal. Especially since you have the waveshield, so it would all have to be removed since the furniture is bolted on. I think over time the furniture would either deflect as mentioned before, or worse crack at the mount points. Although if enough spacers were added to properly disperse the weight then it may be a viable option. 

Back