Cooking Grills

Friar

Reaction score
Last Sunday was my first experience grilling on my pontoon and had six people on board. Thought I would share my experience plus I have some questions for "Matthew", if he sees this post.

First, I purchased a "Kuuma" grill from West Marine for about $130 last December and my recommendation to anyone would be "Do Not" buy this grill. I should have done more research and it was a mistake to rely on the generally positive reviews of this product online. It cooks okay, but that is about it. There are a number of other problems with it such as the rail mounting system was very difficult and it is a struggle to put it into its carrying bag, but the worst aspect is cleaning it. The radiant plate is attached with 4 small screws (instead of snapping into place) so this is a hassle to remove and clean. Then the grease pan on the bottom is attached by screws that extend up into the bottom of the grill so that when you try to clean the grill bottom you have 6 sharp points in the way to tear paper towels, sponges, or your fingers.

Second, cooking out and eating on the pontoon is great. Having said that, I think I should have given more consideration to grill placement and the number of people I would have on board. I posted pictures earlier of my grill mounted on a forward starboard rail. Turns out I felt "crowded" the whole time because of people moving about for food, coolers, toys, bags, etc. Plus I think I will bring along a second garbage can for those times when I am cooking.

Third (and this includes my questions for Matthew), the last several days I have researched and looked at "Magma" grills and decided this is what I should have bought to start with. They appear to be made of much better material and solid, plus they do not have the cleaning problems I described above (the radiant plate snaps in and out, the bottom is smooth, and the grill itself is in 3 pieces allowing it to fit into a sink for cleaning.) Matthew, you posted pictures of your grill on a pedestal mount located on the port side corner of the rear deck outside the playpen area. This is where I think I now want to place my new grill. The underside of that area of my deck is covered with an aluminum sheet attached to edge of the rubrail and a support beam - I would need bolts probably 3 or 4 inches looking to pass thru the deck, the void area, and the aluminum sheet. Can you tell how the base plate is attached to the deck, specifically are the screws secured with lock nuts just through the deck or the deck and the aluminum plate (if you have one)? And how is the grill location working out functionally?

Realize this is a pretty long post, but everything I do seems to be trial and error and I am getting tired of all the errors! :angry: Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks. (PS - Kuuma grill for sale, $1.00 plus shipping - will throw in some useless accessories for free)

What an easy problem to fix! West Marine also carries Magma. I would suggest that you return your Kumma and exchange it for a Magma. West has a variety o f Magmas in assorted sizes. Easy mounting options and the ability to use it on or off the boat. I have used a propane and charcoal one. The round ones. After use easy to wash the grate (that's all we clean) and put it in it's bag. Or just cover it and leave it o n the rail. West has great customer service. If the store is saying no, send an email to the customer service dept. Another thought it a Weber baby Q. It does not have mounting features but always works.

Dave

I also went with the Magma. If the trade does't work,the best pricing I found was on Ebay. I belive it was Spinnker Jims. Good price good service

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have already decided that Magma grills are the way to go.

Made the original purchase from West Marine online and have now contacted them about returning it; will post what the result of this becomes.

Still want to hear from someone (matthew) about the pedestal mount.

OK, if it's not returnable or refundable, I'll pay the shipping to 48823 for a dollah plus!

I have a pedestal mount and I'll figure a way to make it work!

Keep me posted.

West Marine came thru with great customer service. Responding to my email, they said I could return it to my local store or send it to their center in South Carolina and they emailed me a copy of my invoice.

Took it to my local West Marine in Lewisville, Texas - the manager said no problem, got a full refund credit and applied it all to the purchase of a Magma Cabo grill with serving shelf extension.

He also happened to mention that West Marine has stopped doing business with "Kuuma".

After setting it up at home, found out that Magma's system for attached the regulator and propane bottle is super easy versus the convulted process for the Kuuma.

Sorry "goldenrod". :D

Sorry "goldenrod". :D
Not a problem. I love to hear about happy endings when it comes to customer service.

I hope your new grill is all you are hoping for. Kudos to West Marine for stepping up.

Hey Friar...

Sorry just noticing your post here. As far as the location of my grill I love it. I added the fishing chair right there to so it gives me a spot to sit or put down plates,etc...

It kind of makes it where there is no traffic around the grill and either I serve people or people have to get their food off the grill one at a time due to only having enough room for one person back there at a time.

I'm not sure exactly how it is attached but i can probably look next time tomorrow when i'm out on the lake. It's in a slip so if i can't get under enough to see i'll have to look next time i have it on the trailer but not sure when that'll be. I bought the boat from Jerry Whittle in Lewisville and they did all the work if they can tell you or show you how they do it. Gary Carpenter is the salesguy and is awesome. I'm sure he'll help you if you go there. Looking at your picture I may have seen you out on Lewisville lake today??? Not sure if that was you or not but saw a boat that looked like yours. If you come out to lewisville send me a private message on here and it'll go straight to my phone and we can meet up. I have a slip now with a fridge and a big electric grill so I don't grill as much on the boat but it's still nice to have since my little one may want a hotdog or something while we're out.

On a sidenote the Barbecues Galore store (and I'm sure other places do to) carries a little metal hanging thing that hangs out the side of the grill that has hooks that hang down for cooking utensils. (spatula, tongs, etc.)

It was only about 4 dollars and is the best thing ever. Keeps you from putting utensils down on seat or worse accidentally losing them in the lake. One thing i did not have to learn the hard way thank goodness!

"matthew" Thanks for the response. I did go by Whittle Boats yesterday, talked to the parts manager who took me to the the service guy who actually does this kind of work and he said he just uses ss wood screws to attach the base plate though the decking, so that is what I am doing. (I was anxious to get this done before Monday - going out on Joe Pool lake with extended family).

Wasn't me on Lake Lewisville yesterday - the wind speeds all day scared me off of going anywhere!

Also thanks for the tip on the utensil hanging thing - will go by a "Barbeques Galore" store today to get one - that should solve another specific problem since I don't have 3 or 4 hands :)

@Friar...Well did you get the grill on and get to cook anything today??? We want pics for proof!!! Oh and as a sidenote I hope you had a great Memorial Day! Thank you for the many sacrafices you've made for our country and the people who get to call this great country home. 25 years is a long time...hope the "business trips" were minimal and without injury.

lifeisgood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the sentiment matthew - I have always felt fortunate and proud to have been an American soldier.

We decided to not go out again because of the wind; of course today is fine :(

I did use to Magma grill at home however and still cannot believe how much better and easier to use it is versus the piece of junk I had before - it really was a case of "penny wise, pound foolish"

Will post some pics when we finally get out on a lake!

This is going to be an expensive forum...! I hadn't even thought about grilling on the boat. Now I just ordered a Magma grill and fishing pole stand from West Marine. At least I bought the inexpensive version (Cabo) on sale for $119 to see how much I use it before moving up to an infrared version. Of course the locking fishing pole stand was $75 but the model I bought works with the other infrared grills also. I'll post pics once I get it mounted...

Got out this Saturday also - iPhone pic of my grill and 10 year old grandson uploaded in gallery (I give up on figuring out how to post pics within a post and stay within the 500k limit).

Put 3 hours on motor, 2 of which were dragging my grandson around on the tube - at least the wind wasn't too bad and was able to get the pontoon on the trailer first try which was good since there were about 15 other boats and jet skis around the 2 lane ramp/dock at the time.

Great job on the install Fasttr. Nothing better than being able to grill without having to leave your seat...HAHA

Back