Cool little USB/Voltmeter.

MrG

Reaction score
I saw this USB charger with Voltmeter and thought that some of you might like it. I like to keep a eye on my voltage as I play the stereo all day but don't like having to turn the key on to see what my digital display says. This looks like a cool small way of killing 2 birds with one stone.

#1 you can run it just like you see it (but that would require you to drill a extra hole.

#2 Or you can remove it from its faceplate and exchange it out for a cigarette lighter not in use, (that way you don't have to drill a extra hole.

I would encorprate it in with the Master switch so when your boats not in use your not wasting power on it.

http://m.banggood.com/Motorcycle-Dual-USB-Charger-Adapter-With-Voltmeter-Socket-p-940589.html

My Lowrance has a voltmeter and do really like the function of knowing how my battery/batteries are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most GPS's have alarms you can set warning you.

If your not running a whole lot of electronics. And you don't sit parked with the motor off for anytime I can see how voltage is not really important to you. On my other boat that has lots electronic stuff (stereo) the voltmeter is Very important. I constantly keep a eye on it. On my Q" that has no real system in it I don't look or care much. At the end of the day I simply turn the key and if it fires then my voltage is fine

I use a Victron BMV-602. It is a little more involved as far as installation goes, but I think you would appreciate its functionality Gee. Here is a link.

http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/BMV-600S-and-BMV-602S

I like that it just has a single RJ12 cable running to it from the shunt, and it has a lead for a second battery bank(starter battery) it gives a ton of information for your main battery bank.

i use a Xanterx Link 10. (Game Over) as far as dash mounted volt meters go it tells me Voltage, Amps being drawn, Amps being put back in. Calculated run time. Example it will calculate your current draw and tell you at that draw you can run for this amount of time.

Example I can set the volume level and it works like a clock that counts backwards. As power is drawn from the battery bank the time to play counts down.

xantrex_zpsldnhafzm.jpg

i use a Xanterx Link 10. (Game Over) as far as dash mounted volt meters go it tells me Voltage, Amps being drawn, Amps being put back in. Calculated run time. Example it will calculate your current draw and tell you at that draw you can run for this amount of time.

Example I can set the volume level and it works like a clock that counts backwards. As power is drawn from the battery bank the time to play counts down.
Yeah, thats all great info, same as the Victron. 15.6, that's some juice! (if that is the volts meter).

These pic's are from the charging system out of my Wakeboard boat. Balmar 220 Amp Alternator
balmar1_zpsmsdxbrph.jpg

This is a Amp Clamp hooked onto the Main charge wire, This was from a test I was doing when I first instaled this alternator. Now I get this information from the dash but 170 Amps at Idle is pretty bad A$$

balmar2_zpslmjmtjpn.jpg

And yes that 15.60 is Voltage. When my batterys are at full charge like when we start the day this type of voltage is common. The system can produce some serious voltage Or Amprage. Its a fully digital system with digital charge programs, per battery chemestry and that Heat that the alternator produces. The voltage and ampreage can retard itself if the alternator gets to hot. Same go's for the batterys. 

Last edited by a moderator:
no doubt!

Those are very nice setups Gee and BC. The good news is I can show this to my wife to prove once and for all I am not the only one in charge of overkill  :D

Pardon the pun!!!!

My last boat was a 74 19' hallett jet boat with a 496 Big block chevy... Mechanical fuel injection and 950 HP.  I didn't even have an alternator  LOL  3 Big batteries. No stereo, only starter, lights and MSD Ignition.

Back