Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are heading to the lake today. The weather may not allow us to get out on the water but generally at this time of year there is almost no one at the lake.

From an ABC News article:

“The World Health Organization, though, said in 2015 that geographic locations "should be avoided" when naming infectious diseases, in order to avoid "stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors." Disease names can "provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities," a WHO official noted at the time, and amid the current pandemic that certain names "can have unintended consequences in terms of creating unnecessary fear for some populations."

Asian American groups in the United States said that term "Chinese virus" -- and others like it -- has been associated with some of the reported incidents of discrimination against Asian Americans nationwide connected to COVID-19.

There have been physical assaults reported in New York, vandalism in California, and many more incidents of name-calling and similar discrimination, according to the civil rights coalition Asian Americans Advancing Justice, which created a website where Asian Americans could report bias incidents related to COVID-19.”

As someone tied into many different communities with diverse backgrounds and makeups as a nature of my profession and work, certain wording always catcher my attention easily. And I am happy to call it out when it does on behalf of others that may not feel comfortable doing so.

Well said Jeff. Thanks for posting it. I am a retired educator and have seen the same thing.

Sadly, the closure decisions are simply to minimize legal vulnerability and have little to do with health reasons.

Sadly, the closure decisions are simply to minimize legal vulnerability and have little to do with health reasons.
Agree, as it is more of a very severe flu, impacting elderly and others with depressed immune systems, just like the regular flu. They are hoping to “flatten the curve” with all the shutdowns, so not to overwhelm the healthcare system. So instead of going through a 2 months of hell, we’ll have a 4 to 6 month period, where the same number of people are infected. So we’ll have extended economic impact. Thus we’ll be dealing with the issue and a tidal wave of bankruptcies as this goes on and on. The treasury cannot print enough money to cover all the small businesses about to hit the skids, not to mention the airlines, hotels, chain restaurants who have their hands out. Many of the small businesses could probably exist for a month, maybe 2....but no way 4 to 6. There is no cure for the virus. Not yet. But realistically 18 months for a cure, which we’ll need (unless everyone is immune due to already having it) as it will linger and it will rear it’s ugly head again. Call me heartless, but I would have taken the 2 months of hell.

H1n1 infected millions in 09 and it was nothing like the hysteria we’re seeing now. We’ve gotten soft.

I don't know why the March Madness thread was closed?
We have more March Madness this year than we've ever had.

From an ABC News article:

“The World Health Organization, though, said in 2015 that geographic locations "should be avoided" when naming infectious diseases, in order to avoid "stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors." Disease names can "provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities," a WHO official noted at the time, and amid the current pandemic that certain names "can have unintended consequences in terms of creating unnecessary fear for some populations."

Asian American groups in the United States said that term "Chinese virus" -- and others like it -- has been associated with some of the reported incidents of discrimination against Asian Americans nationwide connected to COVID-19.

There have been physical assaults reported in New York, vandalism in California, and many more incidents of name-calling and similar discrimination, according to the civil rights coalition Asian Americans Advancing Justice, which created a website where Asian Americans could report bias incidents related to COVID-19.”

As someone tied into many different communities with diverse backgrounds and makeups as a nature of my profession and work, certain wording always catcher my attention easily. And I am happy to call it out when it does on behalf of others that may not feel comfortable doing so.
Well then they need to change the name of MERS as that stands for middle east region. We have lost our collective minds thinking everything is an insult or racist.

This thread is closed. Please be safe and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back