CREATED NEW THREAD***Age of ownership and what model do you own (or want to)

If you own more than one, you can select multiple

• QX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Q

• R

• G

• SXP (SX Premium)

• SX (earlier optional external railing/new style "S")

• S (earlier model internal railing)

• Do not own one yet. (or regret selling it)

• Under 20

• 21-29

• 30-39

• 40-49

• 50-59

• 60-69

• 70-79

• 80+

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 2574 GCW

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't own one yet but have sf22 on order.

2014 24SLX3

Just picked up 2017 22SSRXP with Yamaha 175 hp

2017 SF on order.

2014 2375 RCW with F250 Yamaha

Hi all, my first post. Ordered a new SFX 21 at the beginning of the month, anxiously awaiting it's arrival and ice-out. I wish I'd have joined this forum before I ordered, there's a lot of good information here from those who use the product. Glad I'm getting a Bennington though, they seem to be well-built.

I owned a used, 14' Sylvan bow rider for a couple years in the past, but was soured on it when the engine briefly caught fire while I had my 2 young daughters in the boat. Vowed not to buy a another unless new, because my lake is too big & remote and sparsely populated to take chances.

Hi all, my first post. Ordered a new SFX 21 at the beginning of the month, anxiously awaiting it's arrival and ice-out. I wish I'd have joined this forum before I ordered, there's a lot of good information here from those who use the product. Glad I'm getting a Bennington though, they seem to be well-built.

I owned a used, 14' Sylvan bow rider for a couple years in the past, but was soured on it when the engine briefly caught fire while I had my 2 young daughters in the boat. Vowed not to buy a another unless new, because my lake is too big & remote and sparsely populated to take chances.

Yikes. Fire would scare me too! What motor did you have and what was the root cause of the fire?

Welcome Maniac. What lake are you on?

Yikes. Fire would scare me too! What motor did you have and what was the root cause of the fire?

It was a 45 hp Mercedes 2 stroke. The fellow I'd bought it from had replaced a solenoid under the cowling with our new that worked, although it was a bit longer than the correct one so it pressed against the cowling. To keep it from shorting out against the metal cowling, he placed a plastic soda bottle cap on the end of the solenoid & secured it with electrical tape.

My daughters & I cruised out to a "hot spot" where I could get cell phone reception one morning. I cut the engine & tilted it out of the water so we could drift. After I made my phone calls, and when I pushed the button to tilt the prop back I to the water I heard a "poof" and turned around to see flames on the lower front of the engine, just above the fuel can. Apparently I had a small fuel leak. My girls were up in the bow (rider).

The rest was in slow-motion. I bent down, grabbed the fire extinguisher turned and put the fire out, then immediately fell down with intense cramps in my lower back that I'd never experienced before or since. Never been so scared in my life, likely because my daughters were there. Ran the boat back to camp & sold it to my best friend (I'd bought it from his brother). He fixed it & he's kept it at my camp since then. However, it takes a mechanic to keep the boat going and given the size & remoteness of the lake, I didn't dare go anywhere in it unless my friend was there.

Now, since I'm due to retire in a couple years and will be living at Camp for 6 months per year, it's time for me to buy my new Benny. I can hardly wait! All the talk on this forum is just throwing gas on the fire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back