Critique my build please

crvtt

Reaction score
Here's my first run down of the boat I THINK i want.

2014 Bennington 24 SLX3

150 Yamaha

SPS 150

Battery Single Switch

Lifting Strakes

Rough Water Package

Sea Star Hydraulic with Tilt

Recliner G Series Helm

Vinyl Full Floor Upgrade

Extended Bow

Fish/Depth Finder

Bimini Top Curved- not sure on this, is this for aesthetics only?

Heavy Duty Rub Rail

Sharkhide 3 tubes

Ski Tow Bar

Extended Aft Deck

4 Step Stainless ladder upgrade

Color and floor plan is still up in the air, but I'm leaning towards black and ivory soft touch interior, SLX3.

Is there anything in there that anyone has and feel it wasn't worth the money spent?  Is there anything in there that any of you think is really worth the additional cost?  Please note I came to this build after lots and lots of reading through this forum so thank you everyone!

I'm really torn on the floor plan.  When we're doing tubing I think it'd be nice to have the recliners so people can easily watch the action.  But, when we've rented pontoons, it seems like all of the adults end up under the bimini so I'm thinking the SLX3 might be the best option.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Under-deck Wave shield ,for sure ,if dual batteries are not a factory option ,have the dealer install an second one .

Just my opinion ,I am sure others have theirs .

Wave Shield Video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCO5Y7dS6Q

Thanks Jack, the wave shield is included with the SPS package.  Dual batteries don't seem to be an option on the S series unfortunately.  Looks like you have to step up to a G series for that option. 

I was going  off my s order last year . Your dealer can install the duals .Mine did for me last year 

My recommendation would be to consider not doing the full vinyl floor upgrade.  On a hot sunny day you will find the vinyl floor to get too hot to comfortably stand on.  Carpet seems to stay much cooler.  I have found the carpet on my Benny to hold up very well.  We have the recliners on our 2375GCW and find everyone fighting over them, especially when pulling tubers.  I like them when the wife and I are out alone and we pull into a cove and drop anchor.  They are very relaxing.  You might also want to consider upgrading to a 200hp engine to get a little more speed for pulling tubers when you have several people on board.  Lastly given the package you have outlined, it might be more cost effective to move to the G series.

Everyone I've read about that had vinyl flooring loved it. Those with snap out carpet seldom even use the carpet--choosing to use the vinyl all the time.

I love your floorplan even better than my single rear lounger.

I wouldn't worry about the second battery if you're not running a trolling motor or have a 1000 watt power booster on the sound system. The battery my dealer put in my boat was some unknown brand anyway. I'll be replacing it with a car battery whenever it croaks, as they're cheaper and much, much longer lasting.

I would spring for the GPS speedometer, however. These boats get up and move, and it's nice to have.

You might want to verify on front end that the dealer will provide you with a Yamaha Reliance 15 pitch prop (to start.) My dealer started with a M14 Yamaha prop, and it cut me 3-4 mph short, and was up against the rev limiter @ 6300 rpm's. They mounted my motor 3/4" off the transom. It feels just right now.

Thanks everyone.  I pretty much like all the colors, the layout is what's killing me.  I don't want to have the right everything else and then wish I had a different lay out!

SJHorner, do you happen to know what all I'd pick up by going to a G series that's optional on the S series?  I know I can find it all on the website but just figured I'd ask in case you knew off the top of your head.  I'm starting to get analysis paralysis lol.

We loved our 22 sslx so much we ordered it again in the 24 sslx but with sps and a 200. The rear double lounger is great for sitting back with the wife and floating, watching the tubers.

I was thinking more about this. I haven't driven a 150 but I have driven the 200 and wow. If you can swing it I'd go for it. I also agree on adding the gps speedo. I think it is really nice to have. I'd also recommend the stainless docking lights. They really give the boat a rich look and you don't have to worry about a heavy foot damaging them. We also upgraded the radio the second time around. We listen to the radio a lot and the base one did not get good signal.

As for the arch Bimini it is a new style and looks a little more modern. We didn't get it as it wasn't a priority for us to have the frame supports curved.

Good luck and keep us updated when you pull the trigger.

My $.02 on the latout. Get what YOU like and those who are along for the ride (guests) will have to deal with it. It's YOUR money.    :p

My $.02 on the latout. Get what YOU like and those who are along for the ride (guests) will have to deal with it. It's YOUR money.    :p
Amen ,that is the way I feel .If I buy a car and someone else cant fit in the back seat ( if there is one ) . I bought it for me not you .

Hahaha!!!! You tell 'em Carl!!!!!!!!!

For the layout and faux teak I'll give you my opinion on what I have and what I'm thinking of doing. You can make your decisions, I'm providing insight.

Faux teak. If you have tender feet, wear flip flops. I love my floor.

Layout. I have a gcw and I love it! However...

I'm intrigued by the GSR. You get the rear loungers AND you can make the rear seats a lounger with the storable lounge. Plus if you get the 2 filler seats you have more sitting room

We just optioned out an SSRX.  We looked at the SLX and GCW and decided the rear facing loungers weren't appropriate for us and having 3-5 kids on it at a time from ages 2-11.  The SSRX and GSR have four chaise lounges, which work for us.  Also you can get the dual battery on the SSRX.  If you anchor and listen to the radio, you'll want the dual batteries even with no extra sound system.  Three years ago I got stranded on the lake after about 3 hours of listening to the radio and not starting the motor.  I immediately added a second battery and switch and haven't been stuck since.

Also we priced out a 2550 GSR and it was about $5,000 higher.  The only thing the GSR had over the SSRX for us that we liked was the bow gate seat that fills the front or the rear.  We decided the extra money wasn't worth one seat.  Also on the G you get LED lights around the speakers, raised helm options, the wet sound system (extremely expensive for what you get), and some other upgrades that don't effect performance.

I didn't  see the raised helm option on your build. I would highly recommend it.

Best I can tell you can only get a raised helm by stepping up to the G series.

Rockie69, I just looked at the photos of your boat.  You REALLY have me wishing a 2375GCW was in my price range.  That in my opinion is the best floor plan I've seen with the bench across from the helm seat and recliners in the back.  

Love the build -- very close to mine!   :)

I was looking for an excuse to go up to the G series, but when the dealer costed my choice out the G was still way more than the S and the dealer said stick with the S.  (Then again, he pointed out how a 200 over a 150 didn't really provide the bang for the buck but I did that anyway, but that's another story....)

Here is what he got from the factory when I asked for a list of the differences between the G and S:

S/G Differences

Console size/design/instrument cluster
Helm chair size/design (S can be upgraded)
Upholstery detailing and full-wrap on G, exposed rotomold on S
Furniture wraps around to bow gate on G, no wrap on S
Exterior rail detailing and verticals on G, more simplified on S
Portable cupholders optional on S, standard on G
Extruded deck skirting on G, plain aluminum on S
G Series is 16" on-center mid-ship; S Series is 24" on-center
Transom 22 gallon fuel tank on S, larger tanks (vary by model) on G Series
Tilt steering and teak table standard on G, optional on S

S series deck sizes are smaller than G series deck sizes  

This list sure was a lot handier than hunting and pecking on the website, which isn't always easy to use for comparisons.

John 

Back