Cross Country Lake Havasu Trip

jrochin

Reaction score
I know its early in the season but the wife and I were sitting here thinking we should go out to Vegas for a couple days and maybe hit up Lake Havasu.  I had the bright idea that we should take the boat (even though mid April may still be early for "boating" hell we take a few trips that early up here in the Northeast.  So its kinda in the works.  Ill leave in about a week from the Northeast corner of PA heading west with the Bennington in tow.  She will fly out in a couple days and I pick her up at the airport.  

Anyone boating this early in Havasu?  5,000 mile round trip tow coming right up Looking to be Havasu about April 7th-15th ish

Wow. That's a long haul! I moved from PA to AZ, in early 90's, and don't envy you dragging a trailer that far. Make sure to take pics and post up along the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy,that is a a tow.What do you pull the boat with? And what model Bennington are you pulling? I love driving myself and the pulling the boat wouldn't phase me. But you should be prepared by taking two spare tires along, a small hydraulic floor jack,and several thick slabs of wood for a jacking base.Lastly a good LED light if you plan on running thru the night. Really sounds like fun! And do take pics as you travel. Good luck in the travels.

Sounds like a fantastic journey!! It'll be a great time to get out of Pa, the weather has been horrible and I'm only 1-1/2hrs south of you!! As long as you think ahead and go prepared I'm sure you'll be fine! 

Shiny side up and keep her under 100!! :)  

That's one serious road trip right there!  That would be a great travel blog experience right there.  Looking forward to hearing about the trip!

Just sent you a message.  We're already boating out here.  Weather is excellent and getting better.  Lake is typically pretty quiet in April.  Spring Breakers are gone and the Snowbirds heading out.  Water temp in the low 70's.  Mid April to Memorial Day is one of the best times to be on the lake.

Water temp in the low 70's.  Mid April to Memorial Day is one of the best times to be on the lake.

Jealous!   :D   

Jealous!   :D   

Well, it seems you're only about 2142 miles away.  So, towing at a conservative 55 mph you could be here in about 38 hours.  In less than a typical work week you could be out here already enjoying the boating season.  You only live once, I say go for it, lol.

I'd use the 2015 F250 Powerstroke for this trip. The platinum is much more comfortable than my F350. 2 wheel/tire spares would be ideal (I'll have 1 for sure.). I did long haul truck driving for awhile so the miles don't scare me 

I just have to talk all her into the idea that hauling the boat cross country is smarter than saving time and money and just flying out. 

WARNING!!!!!! Forgot, Do not tow with the mooring cover on. They are not meant for high speed/distance towing. You must remove it and or use a "towing cover". 

From Bennington:

HAULING WITH CANVAS:

UPDATE NOTE JUNE 2012 REGARDING HAULING: Bennington does NOT recommend towing with your playpen cover installed. The playpen cover is a "mooring cover" for use when the boat is moored at the dock or stored on the trailer. Although you could easily haul at low speeds/short distances many times and never have an issue, it's the 1 in 100 situation that can catch you. The fabric is durable, but snap-whip from a loosened snap, snap-strain from high speed towing, and various other situations can cause damage to your cover. Use common sense when hauling! Please review your state's boat trailering laws for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
jrochin,

I have been wanting to take my family to Lake Powell for a houseboat vacation for years. We live in St Louis. When I was growing up in northwestern Colorado my family spent a week on Lake Powell with extended family each summer. Powell is an experience all lake boaters should have. My concern has been the tow, our watercraft become sails when on the trailer. I too, have driven truck and still I am a bit weary. I will be very interested in your experience if you go through with the trip. By the By Lake Havasu would be cool to experience. My wife and I, and my parents lived in Boulder City NV for awhile. We boated on Lake Mead. Can't say I ever liked boating there, to rough. Always wanted to try Havasu.

I had some straps made from seat belt sewn into the front of my cover to help hold it down, or on, in the worst case.  I don't moor so it just sits folded up in the barn.  I have taken it to Illinois and Tennessee, so far so good.  I will use it up and then get a trailerable cover.  If I had the diesel I'd tow it there too.  If you come across 70 and need any assistance running through Ohio get a hold of me.

I know its early in the season but the wife and I were sitting here thinking we should go out to Vegas for a couple days and maybe hit up Lake Havasu.  I had the bright idea that we should take the boat (even though mid April may still be early for "boating" hell we take a few trips that early up here in the Northeast.  So its kinda in the works.  Ill leave in about a week from the Northeast corner of PA heading west with the Bennington in tow.  She will fly out in a couple days and I pick her up at the airport.  

Anyone boating this early in Havasu?  5,000 mile round trip tow coming right up Looking to be Havasu about April 7th-15th ish

Instead of trailering your boat and having a chance of someone hitting it, why don't you fly and rent a boat. Unless you want to see the countryside along the way.

The trip out might not be bad.  I would think the return trip would seem forever.  

I have to agree with Randy. April is a great time to hit Havasu. Come on out, we'll leave a light on for you! If I'm in Havasu at the same time, I would be delighted to show you around.

Cheers, Steve

I would need to meet up with a divorce attorney too if I took the wife on a road trip across the US towing the boat!

I would need to meet up with a divorce attorney too if I took the wife on a road trip across the US towing the boat!

Easy fix. Leave her at home .....  :lol:

Back