Custom Cover

Rockie69

Reaction score
OK ... taking the boat in Friday to have a cover made. Any ideas, suggestions, pictures, do's, don't(s), I'll be using it for LONG hauls. READY...SET....GO

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller....

I would suggest using "Common Sense" fasteners instead of snaps. These are the type that are oval shaped and twist to lock. They are easier to use than snaps, but more expensive. If you do use snaps you'll want to make sure to keep them lubricated.

I would also recommend having pole vent caps installed to reduce or hopefully eliminate moisture under the cover.

Good Luck!

Dan

Thank you, I'll look into the snaps.

Can't recommend much other then when driving long distance, stop every so often and check the cover. Last thing you want is it to come unsnapped, and beat a panel to death !!

Our cover we had built for the 22' has two rows of snaps. The higher row is on the rails in a traditional position. The second row is snaps on straps that attach under the decking. When We docked at the slip, we attach the snaps to the railings and the cover drapes the rest of the way down to cover the deck. When on the trailer, we attach the bottom straps to under the decking. There is a draw string built into the bottom of the cover ( like on a jacket) we pull the string tight and it wraps the cover under the decking. It makes the boat watertight. We have pulled to Canada in rain and the boat and contents are dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remediation- Do you have photo's of your cover? Sounds exactly what I'm wanting to do.

+1 Lets see pics of your cover Remediation, also how much did it run you? I would like to have once as we have already planned a couple of trips to Northern Michigan for our boat that would involve trailering it for roughly 4-6hrs.

I will get pics posted. I will borrow Jill's phone ( better camera) and get them posted. I will try to show the unique features.

Built in Bellbrook OH by Sailor Tailor - $1,100 It zips apart for handling and storage. It is much heavier than the playpen covers.

I think I saw in another post their boat is 4 hrs away... :( maybe we'll get lucky. I'm going to talk to my upholsterer today and see if he has seen / done this.

I think I saw in another post their boat is 4 hrs away... :( maybe we'll get lucky. I'm going to talk to my upholsterer today and see if he has seen / done this.
The 22' boat is at the house. I will have pictures today. I have a spare pontoon boat that we use for Canada and boating in Ohio

I feel like i just won $100 in the lottery!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

The cover is totally waterproof during storage and towing. Our old cover acted like a green house cover and allowed mold grow that has stained the vinyl. It is very heavy. The shop recommended the zipper to allow the front to separate from the rear. It makes the cover manageable for one person to install and store. I uncover from the front till I get to the zipper. I separate and store the front then uncover the rear. In the water we only use the higher row of snaps. Make it easy to attach. Then the cover just hangs below the deck keeping water off the carpet. It is heavy enough it hangs nicely. When on the trailer we also attach the bottom straps and tighten the drawstring. Money well spent on a quality product.

How does that cover hold up to snow and ice? Lol God I hate Michigan

It has had 8" of wet snow on it this winter with no problems. It has gone through 2 years of outside storage with no issues. The witches hats help spread the load/pressure from the support poles. Instead of a small grommet the pole sticks through the load is spread over the cover where the hat is stitched.

Back