Debate - Performance Upgrades...

Svelte_1

Reaction score
Hi!  New member here looking for opinions, advice and recommendations from various sources.

We've trading in our bowrider for a Benny because we want more comfort, space and amenities. We've pretty much chosen the model (2574 GCWB) but we're unsure about the tubes and outboard HP to get. We're not much into tubing, water sports and willing to sacrifice the speed for the luxury.  We mostly like to fish, lounge and cruise.

We've been told by the dealer that the Twin 32" Elliptical Performance Package is more than enough for us (we don't usually do slaloms with our current boat - usually point A to B) , so we're trying to figure out the top speed of a 150HP vs 200HP outboard motor...  Can we hit the 40mph with the 150HP, or do we need the 200HP for a 25' pontoon boat (loaded).  

Any advice, comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Go with 200HP. I have a 2275 RCW with 150HP and can do 38 on a good day no passengers.

One thing you lose with the ellipticals is the ability to have in-floor storage. That alone could almost be worth SPS or ESP, depending on your storage needs. And I agree, go with the 200. I'm still trying to get my 2275 GCW dialed in but so far I'm in the high 30's with the 200hp v6 (not loaded). Stainless steel prop is on the way, so hopefully that improves. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No man has ever said "I wish I had less power", that said, the center toon storage is a must for me.......with a 150 I can get to 38 mph.

Thank you!!!  Turns out we're now looking at the 225hp...   :p

Much appreciated for all the replies!  Will know in a few weeks the final package and price.  Love the fact that Bennington does custom jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more question...  Is the canvas part of the warranty (5-7 years)? We've been suggested to use a different supplier, but I won't if Bennington includes their canvas tops in their warranty.  Brochure gives me the impression that it is... but not sure.

One more question...  Is the canvas part of the warranty (5-7 years)? We've been suggested to use a different supplier, but I won't if Bennington includes their canvas tops in their warranty.  Brochure gives me the impression that it is... but not sure.
Yes, bow to stern, EVERYTHING (except the motor).

Great!!! Thanks again!!

Ellipticals and 150 high of 41 wot, two people, full tank of gas, bimini up.
dasalmon, if you get a chance, what prop is on your Yami and what hole is the motor hung on at the transom?

I have a 2275 GCW with elipicals and strakes running an F150. With just two people in the boat running the black Yamaha standard propeller (aluminum) I am seeing a solid 38 mph at 6000 RPM.

You're a heavier boat with the same push but you're seeing 3 more MPH at the top. As I'm about done tweaking things, I thought perhaps a prop change would show some real differences and provide me with a spare. The dealer is more than happy to order a Yamaha stainless for me but just shakes his head at my chasing 1 or 2 MPH at the top end. I guess I shake my head a bit at it, too.

Lets just say for conversations sake... ;-)

Back