Delivery problems- would this bother you?

dmhflash

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.  My new 25 GSB was delivered yesterday.  There were a few problems, most were quality issues from the factory which should be able to be fixed.  But what really bothered me were two scratches in the pontoons that were dealer issues. I realize the pontoons will eventually get marred but I'm not sure how upset to be about this.  Thoughts? 

pontoon scratch 1 outside.jpg

pontoon scratch 2 inside middle toon.jpg

IMG_2785.JPG

I'm the kind of person that if there are scratches, I want to be the one that scratches. If it's my boat, I don't want the dealer's name on it. If we work up a deal, he can pay me to keep his name on it. If it's the dealer's scratches, he needs to compensate me for them. I'm a little hard nosed about it. 

When we bought our new Jeep Grand Cherokee, my wife found a very small dent, but we had the thing at home for a couple of days, so it would have been extremely hard for us to prove that we didn't do it, so we let it ride. 

I would be upset as well. These boats are not cheap. Also if you had the sharkhyde coating is it now compromised because of that damage?

Same here. If I wanted a boat with scuffs and dings I'd buy a used boat. Would you take a new car off the lot with scratch's/ gouges in the wheels?

I would start by asking the dealer to look at it making sure he knows that you are not happy about it and then wait to see what he says, perhaps offer to smooth them out if possible or something else

I looked the boat over carefully when I closed on the boat a couple of weeks ago and I know these scratches weren't there then.  We'll see what the dealer says, I just want it fixed.  The are a bit overwhelmed right now, they are a large multi-state dealer and they were proud to boast they sold over 160 Benningtons during show season. It seems like they are struggling to deliver on that success at the moment.  Even though they are spot issues I am going to insist they re-apply the sharkhide.  Not sure if they can spot cover areas with a new application. 

Yes. Sharkhide can be touched up, the sooner the better. Check out their webpage. The scratches don't look horrible. As Mark stated, let them know and see how they react. I'd at least expect a touch up, and maybe a little discount on a motor service. I don't think it looks so bad to expect large compensation. 

I don't know how well they'll be able to clean the scratches up.  I do know that if they try, they're going to have one hell of a time trying to blend the buffing that they'll have to do to make it not noticeable.  Then they'll have to do a large portion of that area over again to remove the old sharkhide and re-apply the new.  Bummer.

Bummer! I like Link's thoughts on how to handle. It might be very difficult to prove that they were there from the beginning but hopefully they will accept your word and work to resolve it. Good luck!

How did you make out with this?

Still not resolved.  The dealer just picked up the boat today to replace the power steering module in the ETEC which has been throwing codes since delivery.  I expect they will inspect the scratches and offer a suggestion for resolution..  I have NOT had a good experience with this delivery of this boat.  QC problems from the factory, Motor/rigging problems, delivery problems from the dealer...

Not sure if anyone else had these problems but many of the dash components were not tightened down.  The garmin, the instrument panel, the gauges - it's like they didn't finish it.  I spent almost an hour under the helm station checking screws, wires, etc.  This wasn't easy with that huge Kicker subwoofer in there!  

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick firm to your guns.  Those sales guys would not have accepted the scratches if they were on their new cars.  Make them get it right!

good luck.

This is such a bummer, stand firm on the scratches, the dash may or not be loose from the dealer rigging it. The dealer mounts the motor and sets it up so anything is possible. I've seen quite a few of the new G2's the lake and the guys are loving them.... hopefully they get you straightened out!

Personally, I had several issues when I took delivery, including loose dash components where the screws that secure it to the helm were broken/stripped so I couldn't tighten them down myself. Hopefully it was repaired last winter. 

Personally, I had several issues when I took delivery, including loose dash components where the screws that secure it to the helm were broken/stripped so I couldn't tighten them down myself. Hopefully it was repaired last winter. 

All my dash components were loose when I took delivery.  I got under the helm and tightened as many as I could find - almost all were loose.  After putting a couple hours on the boat this weekend I am covering the boat and notice my garmin is falling out of the dash with only one screw barely holding on.  I know I snugged those up and now it is disconnected again.  

Has anyone else had this problem with a boat delivered this year?  Not sure if is a dealer or factory issue but I would guess the factory.  

All my dash components were loose when I took delivery.  I got under the helm and tightened as many as I could find - almost all were loose.  After putting a couple hours on the boat this weekend I am covering the boat and notice my garmin is falling out of the dash with only one screw barely holding on.  I know I snugged those up and now it is disconnected again.  

Has anyone else had this problem with a boat delivered this year?  Not sure if is a dealer or factory issue but I would guess the factory.  

A boat goes under a tremendous amount of "shock & vibe" from both usage as well as trailering.  Try a drop of Locktite (blue) on the loose screws.

Also, not sure about every boat coming from factory, but my helm gauge panels were installed at dealer. It was a bare helm when it arrived. My dealer used nylock nuts on every screw! What a world of difference from my last boat for rattles and such. 

My helm was also put together very poorly from my dealer.  Stuff was loose and wires tie-wrapped sloppy.  My gauges were crooked and the Garmin transducer cable was not only not plugged in properly but had a large gash in it like it was cut with a razor or X-acto blade.  My steering wheel mount was also very loose.  Took some time but just I fixed everything myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back