Depth reading

Paul Mazzarella

Reaction score
I have a 2019 22ssrcxp with a simrad go5.The depth works fine under 15mph when I exceed that there is no reading until I drop back under 15 mph.I contacted simrad and they stated the promblem is cavitation which is disturbed water a crossed the face of transducer.They said it is about location of transducer and contact Bennington and ask what location they recommend for transducer.Thank you,Paul

I have a 2019 22ssrcxp with a simrad go5.The depth works fine under 15mph when I exceed that there is no reading until I drop back under 15 mph.I contacted simrad and they stated the promblem is cavitation which is disturbed water a crossed the face of transducer.They said it is about location of transducer and contact Bennington and ask what location they recommend for transducer.Thank you,Paul

The reply was absolutely correct. Our dealer warned us we wouldn’t get readings above 15-20 mph for that reason, and they were correct. Ours would always stop at around 15 mph.

However, if you use the search tool (upper right corner of the forum pages) you can search for solutions many of the other members on here have come up with. Pretty much all of them involve changing the transducer bracket and transducer. Believe they lower it past the bottom of the toon, and maybe slightly further out - however its been since last summer that I read any of those pots.

A small partial solution is to also angle the transducer slightly. By doing that we can go a little faster and still get readings as it compensates for the angle of the boat when opened up. However, mph still drops off around 20mph as we have not changed our transducer/bracket location.

More than likely you will need to lower your transducer just a bit to get it to read better. It should be off of the centerline enough that the keel shouldnt be interfering.

It can be frustrating at times but play around with it and you'll get it. My boat only does about 28mph top speed but i have a reading at that speed.

Yup, I lowered mine so the bottom of the transducer is just below the tube and it now works most all the time. It probably won't be until June, but I'll take a picture of it.

Yup, I lowered mine so the bottom of the transducer is just below the tube and it now works most all the time. It probably won't be until June, but I'll take a picture of it.

You had Spicers do that, correct? I was contemplating having them lower mine too, and directing them to do it exactly like they did yours (assuming they in fact are the ones that did it). If them, do you remember who up there actually lowered yours? If so, that would be who I would request taking a look at mine and lowering it.

You had Spicers do that, correct? I was contemplating having them lower mine too, and directing them to do it exactly like they did yours (assuming they in fact are the ones that did it). If them, do you remember who up there actually lowered yours? If so, that would be who I would request taking a look at mine and lowering it.
Jeff, it was actually the driver that helped me do it after I mentioned it. He grabbed a drill from the shop and a few minutes later we had it done. The service department was no help.

More than likely you will need to lower your transducer just a bit to get it to read better. It should be off of the centerline enough that the keel shouldnt be interfering.

It can be frustrating at times but play around with it and you'll get it. My boat only does about 28mph top speed but i have a reading at that speed.

Ditto on lowering your transducer. I had the exact problem with mine. The bottom of the transducer needs to be just below the bottom of the tube. Here’s two pics of mine.

8329CE6C-6DA1-49D2-B052-85CB3587D28A.jpeg ABE5522E-33ED-4E71-BAC0-2FDAB4FB52A6.jpeg

Another vote for the lowered transducer. After lowering mine on both Bennys, I’ve never experienced the depth not showing. The toon, after a certain speed, keeps the transducer above of the water level, so no reading. You may as well be trying to test it while the boat is on the trailer. Got to be submerged in water to work. My readings show throughout the 38 MPH range.

If you need a good profile picture of how mine sits, I’ll be glad to run outside and take a couple.

Last edited:
I lowered mine and moved it closer to the outside of the toon similar to dannyleininger above. Huge difference in readings as I can now run 30+MPH and not have constant blinking.

I love threads like this, they end up being a wealth of knowledge! I'd read another similar thread a while back before I bought my boat and knew what I'd need to do if I had the same problem losing depth at speed. Sure enough, I lose the depth by the time I reach 15 mph. I'm planning to lower my transducer as soon as the water gets a bit warmer. Boat is on the lift and I don't feel like freezing my behind off while I'm in the water working on it (or putting the waders back on).

A transducer needs to be in "clean" water. Lowering them usually does the trick but like some have done , they need to be moved to the side at times. Need to get them away from the turbulence. That can be from just a simple rivet on an aluminum flat or shallow v bottom boat. The solid keels running along the bottom center of the toons is a big source of that turbulence and you have to be either far enough away from it or below it to get good consistent readings.

And don't forget to level the transducer according to the boats stance in the water. If you level it to the boat itself it may not read at speeds plus be off on the actual depth readings.

Experienced it for the first time yesterday, but not until I hit 35-37.

I love threads like this, they end up being a wealth of knowledge! I'd read another similar thread a while back before I bought my boat and knew what I'd need to do if I had the same problem losing depth at speed. Sure enough, I lose the depth by the time I reach 15 mph. I'm planning to lower my transducer as soon as the water gets a bit warmer. Boat is on the lift and I don't feel like freezing my behind off while I'm in the water working on it (or putting the waders back on).
I lowered my transducer about 2 inches Saturday. Hardest part was pulling the ladder out of the muddy lake bottom when I was done (boat was on the lift). Success! Sonar now reads the depth up to full speed, about 43 mph.

Depthfinder.jpg

Back