Derrick's Photos

Rockie69

Reaction score
I must say, your photographs are phenomenal. If I took pics like that on "my" lake it would look like I was boating in chocolate milk with a tinge of green food coloring. Well done!

Thanks Jared! We shoot everything in RAW format (nothing like JPG!! ) and import them from the camera using Lightroom. It's amazing what a difference it makes. You do end up with HUGE files because it is uncompressed. Jpg images delete out a lot of information and detail from the pic. It takes a lot more time since you can't just plunk them in your "My Pictures" folder, but in the end I think it is definitely worth the effort.

I agree, very well done. I'm a total photography doofus.

Derrick, you got me interested; I did some quick research on RAW and cameras that have it. What camera do you use? What advice or recommendation do you have for someone that does not want to take the time to become a professional photographer, basically point & shoot but willing to put a little more effort into developing

Link,

There are a lot of point & shoots that can make good photos great. I personally have a couple Kodak P&S but I don't recall if they do RAW. I never messed with RAW, as Derrick said, it's a memory hog.

Also keep in mind, you need decent processing software, and if you really want to see capabilities of the processing, you need a GOOD monitor and graphics card. It has to be able to process the colors as natural as possible.

If I were you, I'd probably stick to Canon.

Start here to see what's out there. http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html

My baby is a SONY 14MP A33SLT. SLT is Single Lens Translucent so the mirror does not flip up like a standard SLR camera so you remove the camera "shake" which creates fuzzy pics.

I mainly stuck to SONY so I could use all my Minolta lenses on it. Both manual and auto lenses.

You might look into some of the Canon Rebels ..... Some really nice Cameras for the money.

Due to all these great pics Derrick posted, I think it's time to break it out, and try to shoot some RAW.

Derrick, you got me interested; I did some quick research on RAW and cameras that have it. What camera do you use? What advice or recommendation do you have for someone that does not want to take the time to become a professional photographer, basically point & shoot but willing to put a little more effort into developing
We have a Nikon D7000. We love it. We chose the Nikon over other brands just because we spoke to a professional photographer that has done stuff for us and she has used Nikon and always loved it. After seeing some of her shots, who were we to argue! I'm sure there is the same people using Canon. I liked the feel of the Nikon, it didn't feel plasticy like the Canon's we tried. Now if you move into the professional level Canon's I'm sure they are good, but didn't like the feel of the Rebel lineup. As for learning to be a pro, we'll even high end camera's have "auto"!! Haha I did take photography in school when I was much younger and there was no digital, I still understand the basics, but most stuff is shot in auto format. When I see a shot that I want a blurred out background I will switch over and make it happen, or if I know I'm shooting action, I'll adjust shutter speed, but for the most part, the camera is still much smarter than I'll ever be!! Best thing is to find a good photo shop in your area and gonna in and hold the cameras, see how they feel. Ours is a fairly large body, but my wife doesn't have little hands so it works. My brother bought the D5100, it's slightly smaller and less expensive, takes great video. RAW is the way to shoot, but like I said, every single picture has to be "worked" its not photoshopping, it's more color balancing, Lightroom does do many different things though! If I think of it later I will post a family picture that was taken a while back, my brother's girlfriend was no longer his girlfriend and my parents wanted her out of it, well, my wife was able to remove her and replace my niece in the picture whom she was holding at the time!! It took a lot of work!! I have to get running to work, but I will touch on what Semp said, you definitely need a newer style computer to keep up with it, photos programs are hogs on memory. I'll touch back later on.

Ooooops, forgot about Nikon, they have really nice stuff too. Derricks right on the plasticy feel, and camera body sizes comments. His recommendation of going into a camera shop is spot on.

Nothing like ordering a $800 camera, and not liking the feel. Ask me how I know. :blink:

Here's a really nice camera to get you started ...... :wub:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893190-REG/Hasselblad_H5D_50_DSLR_Camera.html

I don't know, it's not in stock and I still have to buy a lens? :wacko:
Watch their used dept. I bought multiple used ones from them. I'm with cameras like I am with trucks. I think I have 5-6 digital cameras right now. It's an addiction.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back