Did not pee while trying to flush

dasto

Reaction score
I tried to flush Yamaha 150. Took prop off and stuck lower unit into trash can of water. Water was above black plastic pieces where muffs would go, but I wasn't using muffs. To my surprise the motor did not pee after I started motor and ran a short time. So, I turned motor off so as to not damage motor. Any thoughts why this didn't work?

Must be some kind of obstruction or blockage on the intake or pee hole itself!

Good video Daril.
Also, this is a frequent issue with Yamahas, and more often than not, once in the water everything is fine.
If you are really concerned, pull hood and feel cylinders while running on the muffs. If they only get lukewarm you are alright.

I saw your post and recalled reading something about the Yamaha motors and not peeing when in a water tank. A quick google search found this - hope it helps.... I am no expert, but maybe you needed deeper water??
As noted, Yam four strokes pee weakly compared to a Yam or Merc two stroke. In a four stroke pee water has to go through a fuel cooler and/or a rectifier/regulator cooler before exiting the motor. Pee water has nothing whatsoever to do with the motor being properly cooled however. Except for the fuel cooler or R/R cooler.

If the motor is being run in a bucket of water, the water level has to be well above the point where the lower unit attaches to the mid-section. Just covering the water inlets won't do it. The water pump needs to be submerged to do its job. The water pump is well above the level of the water intakes. Water pumps like to push water. A dry pump may not pull any water at all. In which case the impeller vanes can be damaged. They don't like to be running dry.

I saw your post and recalled reading something about the Yamaha motors and not peeing when in a water tank. A quick google search found this - hope it helps.... I am no expert, but maybe you needed deeper water??
As noted, Yam four strokes pee weakly compared to a Yam or Merc two stroke. In a four stroke pee water has to go through a fuel cooler and/or a rectifier/regulator cooler before exiting the motor. Pee water has nothing whatsoever to do with the motor being properly cooled however. Except for the fuel cooler or R/R cooler.

If the motor is being run in a bucket of water, the water level has to be well above the point where the lower unit attaches to the mid-section. Just covering the water inlets won't do it. The water pump needs to be submerged to do its job. The water pump is well above the level of the water intakes. Water pumps like to push water. A dry pump may not pull any water at all. In which case the impeller vanes can be damaged. They don't like to be running dry.
Excellent feedback.

Pump not primed. Needs either pressure to push the water up to the pump from well-sealed muffs or deeper water to prime - looks like the latter in your case.

Back