Difference Between S and G series

SteveO455

Reaction score
Newbie here, just got back from the dealer and we looked at a 24SLX. We liked the boat but we wanted different options, color etc. than the boat they had on the floor. I didn't really look a G series so I'm trying to figure out what are the differences compared to an S model? I know from looking at the literature that the drivers helm and furniture is upgraded, anything else? This will be our first pontoon, I've had several fiberglass boats in the past and we will be trading in a Chaparral bowrider back to the same dealer. It has been a very good boat but we have outgrown it. I have driven a few regular pontoons in the past and they handle like a barge! I plan on going with either the EPP or SPS with a Yamaha F150. What advantage does the SPS give over the EPP? Is it just the extra bouyancy in the stern or does it also help the boat turn? I don't mind the raked look of the EPP by the way. Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions!

Steve

S=24" on center joist vs 16" o/c for others. Not a major deal. Cleats, edge trim, I think the helm.

It best for you to sit and really look through the brochure. I know there is a tipping point of upgrading the S you roll into the G price that may have all the upgrades you are going after. That's what happened to us. Started with the S, but kept upgrading, and ended up in the range of a G.

Last edited by a moderator:
Semp said it right, if affordable, do the SPS in my opinion, it will give you some better handling characteristics than the EPP. I found the furniture a little fancier in the G, but it comes down to cost and layout.

Thanks guys! That's what I was looking for. I know other manufacturers sometimes use thiner walled pontoons or maybe thinner decking on their cheaper lines. I'm guessing the 24" O.C. crossbeams would be fine on a 150 H.P. boat. That's about all the motor I can afford anyway.

I've got a new 24 SSLX with the Express Tube Package and Yamaha F150 engine.

The same components in the more expensive hulls go into the S package. 16" crossmembers are used in the S models for the back third of the hull--where all the weight is. The forward two thirds of the length use 24" beam widths. I've been in some pretty heavy waves, and have not experienced hull flexing of any kind.

The Express Tube package gives 90% of the benefits of a full length hull, but at much less cost than the full third tube. It's also less expensive than the Twin Elliptical Package with strakes, which is Bennington's fastest hull for 150 hp. I'm seeing 40 mph @ 6000 rpm's, and have seen elliptical owners reporting 42 mph. The three tubes will handle better than any twin tube boat, however. The main thing is to make sure the boat has lifting strakes, which get the nosecones out of the water for speed and fuel efficiency.

The S model for me is a good compromise between cost and performance. I'm running within 3 mph of larger engined boats costing $10K more. And it's as nice a boat as I really need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bamaman, I think the S series should suit my needs just fine. I mainly want a boat that will get on top of the waves and offer a smoother ride than a regular pontoon. I'm not concerned with cutting sharp curves and such. The wife wants a boat with more room and something fast enough to out run storms that blow up. We originally looked at deck boats, but I think the tri-toons are a better value and offer even more room.

The tritons also ride way smoother then a deck boat.

Back