Dirty Toons

Sean A.

Reaction score
Over the weekend we had a chance to take a test ride on a potential "new to us boat". It is a 2011 2550 RCL w/ 250 vmax SHO engine being offered at a great price.

The motor only has 53 hours on it, and the boat is in great shape.  

However, the boat has been sitting in the dealer's slip all summer and has been collecting grime.  Top speed of this boat during the test drive was 25 MPH!  The Dealer told us that the speed would be greatly decreased, but I couldn't believe how much! We had 3 adults on board and 1 small kid.

He claims that cleaning the toons should increase the speed by 15MPH. The Dealer is willing to clean the toons if we decide to purchase (The Dealer is working as a Broker on this deal).  

Has anyone else experienced this much decrease in speed due to dirty toons?

I have to say i was disappointed in the top speed of the boat, but the turning/banking of the boat was very impressive.  (This was our first ride on a boat w/ ESP)

-Sean

Will he clean the toons and let you take another test ride ? 

Have him put it in writing . I cleaned mine last week and gained 2 mph  

25mph?!? Were you dragging an anchor as well?

I left my two tube/115hp R in a slip all summer two years ago. I lost 5mph from dirty tubes. A quick pressure washing cleared it up and normal top speed returned.

The Dealer compared the dirty toons to dragging an anchor!

Jack - Agreed, that would need to be part of the deal before we purchased... the boat would need to hit upper 30's make us happy. 

Our 2274 GLI w/ 115hp & clean toons hit 26 MPH on the way over to the marina... hah.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really low hours for a 2011. When was the last time the boat was out for a run? Maybe it needs a to good cleaning and tuned up with fresh gas That may do the trick.. I have a 2014 2375RCW with Yamaha 250, with full tank of fuel a 6 adults hit 44 mph.  

15mph ... No way. Hell, you'd be lucky to gain that adding 50hp !!! Tell the dealer, PUT IT IN WRITING..... It goes 15mph faster, you buy it. No writing, no deal.

Sean, I am here to give you hope. I have a 2350 rbr with a 225 SHO. Brand new, top speed with my family was 39 loaded. Boat is in water full time. I haven't been out in 2 weeks. Today I could only hit 25-26 with same load. My wife is cleaning the toons as I type.

Sean, I am here to give you hope. I have a 2350 rbr with a 225 SHO. Brand new, top speed with my family was 39 loaded. Boat is in water full time. I haven't been out in 2 weeks. Today I could only hit 25-26 with same load. My wife is cleaning the toons as I type.
Now that's a Good Wife .

Clean toons, acid wash, polish then apply Sharkhide if its not going to sit back in water all the time.

http://sharkhide.com/

I have the same problem in a marina , As far as I know all you can do is wipe it down frequently .

Last week we were out every day and I still had some growth .

The Sharkhide does help in the ease of removal of the scum ,but it will not prevent it .

Correct the Sharkhide will NOT prevent growth but it helps ease the removal however if you truly want to see benefits then trailer or put boat on lift. After last year, boat in water all season my top speed dropped tremendously low 30s, but this year all season with polished toons, Sharkhide and boat on lift I've maintained top speed of 40-42. No scum equals less drag.

Thanks Jsur... I'm sure everyone's experience will differ between lakes.  I'm impressed you wife is cleaning the boat as you typed this... it would definitely be the other way around with my wife! hah!  I appreciate the feedback!

Yes, I am lucky. I am still amazed that I have lost that much speed. My boat was brand new this year. Usually it was 4-5 mph slower after the first few weeks in the water. However, i would usually only go 4 days at the most in between outings. However, with the two week interval, it really slowed down.

It is my understanding that the boat we were looking at hasn't been used much this summer... a handful of times at most.  The toons haven't been cleaned all summer...so it does look promising!

Back