Disappointed in Bennington

2013 20 SLX

Reaction score
They are building my boat as I am writing this, they called my dealer and said

the colors I had picked and the colors TB suggested to me (Bronze with Champagne accents)

They won't make, they say it don't look good. Again not being able to see the 2013 colors

or infromation they gave me 3 choices. Bronze with either Blue or Maroon accents or Black.

I agreed with TB Bronze with Champagne accents was perfect, However builders say it

don't look good on the water. Not a happy camper. The photo TB sent with those colors

I wanted looked perfect to me.

Suggestions ? Where oh where is TB when I need him !

Ron (St Louis MO)

2013 Bennington 20 SL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron, i guess i don't understand why they wouldn't let you pick whatever combination of colors you want, as long as those are currently available?

I can't answer for them, and T-B is out till next week sometime.

If it where me, i would be on the phone with no less than a reigonal manager, if not the v-p of sales.

I'm sorry to hear of this, but keep after them till you get what you want.

Not getting an answer there I guess they are all at the Show

Will be too late after today - They are finishing it up at the plant !

I would hope they build it to your specs. How can they "finish" it if it's not what you ordered. Tell your dealer to put a hold on the build. I would not be too happy if it were me. Everyone has different tastes, and just because builders "think" it won't look good, they are not laying out the $$$$ for it. Just my 2 cents ....

I would hope TB would as other said let you pick any combination of colors available. They should not police what they think looks good...that would be very, very not customer focused.

I like the combo, I think it looks cool, my wife on the other hand does not ..... I could have saved couple thousand on SSL on dealer lot but she said no bronze. I feel your pain !!!!

So silver boats on water and bronze boats on water look good, but bronze with silver accent looks bad ????

I'm confused .........

I share your frustration. I was going to buy a new boat 3-4 years ago and they only offered black, blue, red, and maybe wine ? Nothing wrong with these colors, but there wasn't a whole lot to choose from, they said that was because those had been their biggest sellers. Well if that is all you offer they would have to be. Like selling only Bud and Bud light and telling a Miller drinker Bud is your biggest seller. 3-4 years later, the color choices have improved, but like when I wanted the ivory teak flooring with my mocha seating, they only paired the black ivory with the mocha, had to order the ivory seating. Got the regional rep to intervene and the factory still called my dealer to make sure thats what I wanted. Felt they were still trying to talk me out of it. I think the factory color designers have some unusual tastes. Sorry TB. I do understand the fast pace of the assembly line, (heck I couldn't even get photos of my boat on the line), but don't understand why you could only get the black teak on a certain interior. I LOVE MY IVORY TEAK !! That said I think the regonal rep should intervene. Gerry

I share your frustration. I was going to buy a new boat 3-4 years ago and they only offered black, blue, red, and maybe wine ? Nothing wrong with these colors, but there wasn't a whole lot to choose from, they said that was because those had been their biggest sellers. Well if that is all you offer they would have to be. Like selling only Bud and Bud light and telling a Miller drinker Bud is your biggest seller. 3-4 years later, the color choices have improved, but like when I wanted the ivory teak flooring with my mocha seating, they only paired the black ivory with the mocha, had to order the ivory seating. Got the regional rep to intervene and the factory still called my dealer to make sure thats what I wanted. I think the factory color designers have some unusual tastes. Sorry TB. I do understand the fast pace of the assembly line, (heck I couldn't even get photos of my boat on the line), but don't understand why you could only get the black teak on a certain interior. I LOVE MY IVORY TEAK !! That said I think the regonal rep should intervene. Gerry
Yeah, designers are not always right.....ever watch the show Trading Spaces a couple years back? Some of those designers were on crack !!!! :blink:

AND TB LISTEN UP, photos of people's boats being built, even one or two pics is a HUGE customer service reward,, going above and beyond others in the industry. Even if you took a couple and put them with the boat paperwork when it's delivered.

It would make you stand out EVEN MORE than you do now ..... I don't have children, but I would imagine its like you seeing your baby being born ...... :D

Remember "hold the pickles hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us, have it your way"

What happend to giving the customer what they want?

Ron, don't accept it if it is not what you ordered.

Shouldn't really complain too much. My 2575 RCW has appreciated over $1,000,000.00 since I ordered it. :lol: Gerry

Hey look, this is 100% my fault. I showed an early shot of a new boat and should not have...I just went to bat for your one-of-a-kind champagne/bronze boat and got the ok. Sorry for the frustration.

Sure is a shame this topic gained negative momentum so fast. We just had a FANTASTIC day with our Club Bennington members. ouch. :unsure: TB

Last edited:
I don't think negative is the word as much as frustrated. We all know you all do your best, and do a good job too, it's just the principle of the matter, and I guess most would expect, in at least this situation, to make the exception. I do understand that a one off color may cause issues down the road ...... :(

Congraulations to Bennington and TB, I am one happy customer with (Bronze with Champagne accents)

This is the 2nd Pontoon I have bought in 4 months from Bennington and paid cash for them.

You have made a believer out of me ! Again Thanks to TB and Bennington :D

Sweet !! Make sure to post up pics when you get it !!

Customer satisfaction is what it is all about "at the end of the day". Bennington should seize the opportunity, and provide custom ordered boats much like a house.

"To spec". Within reason of course. It seems none of the pontoon manufacturers truly make a floor plan that is what every buyers wants. There is always a compromise. If Bennington

could engineer their "build a boat" section so a person could interact with the floor plan, pick and choose furniture and locations of furniture and features according to their needs, and Bennington build in the limitations,

then make the boat based on the buyers wants a needs, this would be a winner. No other manufacturer does this yet. And if someone has a specific need that doesn't work on the site, work with the customer.

This is a fragile economy and the pontoon industry is doing well in it, but to survive, a company needs to keep its base, then add to it. The color scene shouldn't have been a big deal.

Back