Disappointed in how easy vinyl marks

Derrick,

Please keep us posted on what TB ends up doing on the stain issue. It sounds like this is a problem with some others on the forum as well and I will certainly keep an eye on my new vinyl seats.

Jack

Nope, java. Now to make matters worse, I was in the boat today, (playpen cover was on, I just crawled in the back) trying to figure out something with the volt meter, and as I'm crawling out between the rear loungers, I looked over at the starboard lounger, right behind where the post is that the stainless steel gate mounts, and that short little removable lower section of the lounger has a cut on the side of it! Sheesh! I don't think we've even had it off 3 times! I never noticed it when we picked up the boat, but then again, I never got on my hands and knees and looked behind the gate post/railing! Chalk up another one to my 'lucky' streak!

Derrick
Man, you aren't having very good luck with your boats these days.

Im now wondering if the 2012 models' vinyl supplier was changed from the 2011 models.

When my dealer filled the boat with gas prior to mre picking it up they let gas drip onto the vinyl. Afraid I was going to have the problem others have experienced but since then I have filled it up twice and no backsplash at all. Now where I thought they spilled is getting darker each week and the vinyl is not sticking to the deck, could this not have been a gas spill and is something else?

Hello everyone,

Later today, we will post vinyl cleaning instructions directly from our supplier. In the meanwhile, here is brief synopsis of vinyl characteristics:

5 years ago and beyond, all marine vinyl was "shiny" like it had been coated in Armoral. Many of you may have owned a boat with this type of vinyl, as all boats (fiberglass or aluminum) were manufactured this way. More recently, "shiny" has been equated with a cheaper look, and matte finish vinyls have taken over. Matte finish is a higher end product. In the world of matte finish products, Bennington uses a custom topcoat over the vinyl to help minimize staining, etc, but there is no question that a matte finish requires elbow grease to clean. Matte finishes in general, and most of those used by our competitors, do not have the topcoat we use. (ie, you are getting the best of what's available in today's marketplace.)

The best analogy is a painted wall. A high-gloss wall does not hold handprints and is very easy to clean. A satin-finish wall holds the handprints and is harder to clean.

From dead leaves to gasoline to watermelon, there are many things that can stain vinyl. This may not be what you want to hear, but honesty is the best policy. We'll post the best cleaning advice our supplier has to offer in order to help your boat interior stay beautiful. TB

Upholstery Cleaning Tips from Syntec...
My problem as I stated above is a black stain from the die in a black sweater that had been washed several times before. Any suggestion for that ? It was not listed in the "Care Card". By the way, I did try rubbing alcohol.

I have found if you always place a Towel where your sitting it makes Clean Up much Much easy'r example sunscreen and other oils from your skin make the vinyl dirty and hard to clean. If your always sitting on a towel your vinyl stays cleaner. It's much Easyer to throw a towel in the washer at the end of the day then to have to detail your whole boat.

Towels are cheep and in my opinion more comfortable to sit on then the vinyl so it's a win win in my book

I have found if you always place a Towel where your sitting it makes Clean Up much Much easy'r example sunscreen and other oils from your skin make the vinyl dirty and hard to clean. If your always sitting on a towel your vinyl stays cleaner. It's much Easyer to throw a towel in the washer at the end of the day then to have to detail your whole boat.

Towels are cheep and in my opinion more comfortable to sit on then the vinyl so it's a win win in my book
I agree and we do that. It is sometimes difficult though, to make sure every guest maintains a towel under them. I just think that this vinyl seems to stain very easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
A magic eraser works great on tough stains and rub marks:) it will easily remove almost anything, just don't scrub to hard or long because they are slightly abrasive!!

A magic eraser works great on tough stains and rub marks:) it will easily remove almost anything, just don't scrub to hard or long because they are slightly abrasive!!
With TB stating that the new vinyl is more of a matte finish, the magic eraser could leave a shiny spot if you rub too hard.

I have not tried anything on my toon yet (haven't used it enough to get it dirty) but I had great success with plain Fantastic cleaner on the marine vinyl on my Sea Ray. It worked well on all kinds of spots - some you had to soak for a little while (2-3 minutes) but it removed the stains.

Jack

I have used plain dish soap and water or simple green, followed by a significant amount of 303. There are a LOT Of seats on this boat. I've survived brownies on the carpet, strawberries on the seats, a muddy anchor thrown on the carpet, a thunderstorm that UNLOADED for 30 minutes, and muddy fingers and toes when someone decided to dig a hole. That was just one trip. :)

I just sigh and pop open a beer when I get home. It takes at least an hour to get it back to that new look after my friends and family attack it for a day. I stressed when it rained, and then I realized it's a boat. It's probably made to get wet. The thunderstorm did a lot of the work for me. LOL.

Upholstery Cleaning Tips from Syntec...
Do you realize this contradicts your posted owners manual on bottom of page

16 warning against using 409 cleaner. Which one should be followed??

My boat has ivory upholstery, and it's just a month old. My problem is spider droppings from the boathouse ceiling leaving very small stains on seat backs.

I've tried Mean Green and Awesome cleaners with no success, both of which are very good cleaners. I'll next try Zep Orange Degreaser cleaner, as it'll even get oil base paint out of clothes and off hands. I have yet to try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads, which are actually made of melamine.

It would be nice if Bennington would contract for a spray-on vinyl stain the color of our upholstery--to cover up such stains.

Next purchase will be material to make furniture covers to protect the seats. They shouldn't be very hard to make if I can figure out how to use my wife's sewing machine.

My boat has ivory upholstery, and it's just a month old. My problem is spider droppings from the boathouse ceiling leaving very small stains on seat backs.

I've tried Mean Green and Awesome cleaners with no success, both of which are very good cleaners. I'll next try Zep Orange Degreaser cleaner, as it'll even get oil base paint out of clothes and off hands. I have yet to try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads, which are actually made of melamine.

It would be nice if Bennington would contract for a spray-on vinyl stain the color of our upholstery--to cover up such stains.

Next purchase will be material to make furniture covers to protect the seats. They shouldn't be very hard to make if I can figure out how to use my wife's sewing machine.
Hi Bama. I thought I was the only one with that problem. Spiders hey ? I do have a lot of spider webs out here at the lakehouse. I thought they were from flys or bugs, that is why I don't use my boathouse lights often. Try 303 cleaner with a paper towel. Works great for me. Once or twice, I have a stubborn one turn kind of pinkish orange. Saturate a piece of paper towell with 303 and let it set on the spot. That is what I find works best. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Back