Disposing of Expired/Expiring Flares

djplourd

Reaction score
I was prepping my boat this weekend and noticed that my flares expire in June.  Is there a proper way to dispose of them?  Just throwing them in the trash doesn't seem like a good idea.  I thought about maybe just using them up but there's a warning notice on the package that says that it is illegal to ignite/fire distress signals in a non-distress situation.

Advice?

Fire dept?

https://www.orionsignals.com/faqs/marine-safety-faqs/57.html

Disposal

To dispose of expired marine pyrotechnic distress signals, Orion recommends the following method:

• Donate expired flares to local Coast Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadron for use in their training classes.
  • Ignite hand-held signals flares on land in a safe area, much the same as highway flares would be ignited.
  • Contact a local law enforcement or the fire protection agency for their advice on proper visual distress signal disposal.
  • Retain flares for back-up use to expand signaling time in the event of an emergency.
  • NEVER jettison visual distress signals overboard.
  • NEVER activate marine flares in a non-emergency situation on or near regulated water.
  • NEVER dispose of flares in household trash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait until July 4th, and shoot one up with the rest of the fireworks.  Nobody will know the difference.

TNT Fireworks' big warehouses are located in our town--largest importer of fireworks in the U.S. 

One guy on our lake designs fireworks for TNT, and he loves to shoot his fireworks off his boathouse.  On holiday nights, he has a flotilla of boats sitting in front of his wife watching.  Most people shoot off bottle rockets and roman candles.  This guy's shooting bombs into the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Banaman, a few of the ultra rich do the same on our lake.  I can't imagine what it costs [some have guessed $50,000] as they outdo the local cities sponsored events and there are hundreds of boats floating just off shore for viewing.  One of my favorite nights on the lake.

Banaman, a few of the ultra rich do the same on our lake.  I can't imagine what it costs [some have guessed $50,000] as they outdo the local cities sponsored events and there are hundreds of boats floating just off shore for viewing.  One of my favorite nights on the lake.
We have a professional display on our lake, funded by donations from residents through our lake association each year. I think it typically runs somewhere around $8-10k. That said, there IS one guy who does his own every year from his dock and it is even more impressive than the association's. It's great fun to watch and I guess everyone needs a hobby  :)

We stayed at our lake last year for the 4th instead of going up to the cabin (Glen Lake) and was impressed by what the locals put on. There are two islands on our lake so eveyone just floated and enjoyed the show. Good times.

Back