Do Sea Legs affect the warranty

Franz Gerschwiler

Reaction score
Just wondering if sealegs installation affects the warranty at all? Also does it compromise the structure in anyway as they do have to drill through the ply.

Any other comments about sea legs experiences would be appreciated. Cost would be interesting. I'm being quoted $8K which seems very steep.

You can get a standalone covered lift for less than that. Not sure on the warranty implications but I would imagine turning the framing too swiss cheese is not encouraged.

I paid $6800 for my Sea Legs installed so maybe shop around a bit. There seems to be some negativity towards them for reasons I don’t know (usually from people that have never had them). I’m on my third boat with Sea Legs and I love them. Nice to always have your lift with you and not have to lug a lift in and out of the water every year.
I don’t get it, lots of people on here highly recommend power steering (which is almost 1/2 the price of Sea Legs) because it makes life a bit easier but a lift that you never have to physically drag in and out every year and is raised and lowered with a push of a button on your remote is a bad idea o_O

How do Sea Legs affect the overall performance?

Added weight will slow you down

I would not want sea legs for only one reason the impact on the performance of the boat. That does not mean they are not good for there intendended purpose. This is just a personal preference option is all it is. I think sea leg usage is highly dependent on the lake you use your boat on also as in shallow versus deep.

Last edited:
I paid $6800 for my Sea Legs installed so maybe shop around a bit. There seems to be some negativity towards them for reasons I don’t know (usually from people that have never had them). I’m on my third boat with Sea Legs and I love them. Nice to always have your lift with you and not have to lug a lift in and out of the water every year.
I don’t get it, lots of people on here highly recommend power steering (which is almost 1/2 the price of Sea Legs) because it makes life a bit easier but a lift that you never have to physically drag in and out every year and is raised and lowered with a push of a button on your remote is a bad idea o_O

Thanks - useful info. Was $6800 on a twin toon or tri toon?

Cost: I almost got Sea Legs on our 2017 SPS hull. My quote at the time was approximately $8k too. Not sure if being a tritoon was the reason, but I suspect that is the case. Also, since our boat was already ordered with underskinning, there may have been related cost with removal and changing that to accommodate the Sea Legs after delivery - again not sure. Never got to that point...

Warranty: When we ordered our 2017, they told me Sea Legs did not negate any aspects of the Bennington warranty. Since they are a Bennington dealer, with large volume sales, and periodically put Sea Legs on some of the boats they sell, I took their word at face value.

Our Decision: Since our boat was geared towards water sports usage with an SPS hull, 200 Mercury Verado Pro, our first boat so ordering with no prior experience, we decided to forgo them due to the hit on performance (weight + drag).

IF the focus of our Bennginton wasn’t going to be A LOT of water sports, then I would have 100% went with Sea Legs instead of a traditional lift at that time. Our lake depth and bottom is PERFECT for them. However, we do as much or more water sports, than anything else.

The other reality I have learned since our purchase is with the speeds we go for 99% or our activities, including water sports, we’d still be fine with the Sea Legs due to both our S-series Tritoon hull, and particularly our KICK A$$ Mercury Verado Pro. We’d use a little more gas, but that is the main drawback with that hp on the back of the boat. That Mercury is a beast for a 200hp!

HOWEVER, I often regret not going with Sea Legs; particularly every time the lake is rough and I have to try to get my boat within the perimeters of our lift/canopy - or we forgo boating due to water/wind conditions on our large and open lake. Also, our lake level gets so low by the end of August, we have to take it out for the season. With Sea Legs, we’d be able to milk about 6 more weeks of boating out of it every year.

I personally think they are an awesome option depending on lake bottom and depth, intended boat use, etc... But like EVERYTHING else in boating, they are not for everyone, or for every situation.

Well said, Jeff!

The $6800 I paid was for a tritoon but I checked and install was on top of that. I paid $7500 out the door. They are more money than a 2 log as they require a more powerful hydraulic pump.
As for performance, I have a 23 ssbxp with the sps package and a Merc 150 4 stroke and I can hit 35 mph. Comparable boats are hitting around 40 mph. I could probably squeeze a bit more speed out of it with a different prop as I’m only hitting 5200 rpm at wot. So basically expect to lose about 5 mph. Also, with the new installation method they leave the underskinning intact.

The $6800 I paid was for a tritoon but I checked and install was on top of that. I paid $7500 out the door. They are more money than a 2 log as they require a more powerful hydraulic pump.
As for performance, I have a 23 ssbxp with the sps package and a Merc 150 4 stroke and I can hit 35 mph. Comparable boats are hitting around 40 mph. I could probably squeeze a bit more speed out of it with a different prop as I’m only hitting 5200 rpm at wot. So basically expect to lose about 5 mph. Also, with the new installation method they leave the underskinning intact.

Thanks for the follow up. My price included ALL labor - out the door around $8k. SO...if the original poster’s quote included that, then its pretty accurate with it being around $8k. For the reasons you mention, I sometimes kick myself in that the Sea Legs wouldn’t have hindered our main boat use like I originally thought they might, and it would eliminate two other issues for us: shorter boating seasons than we thought we’d have at our cottage, and docking whenever, and wherever we want, regardless of rough waters.

Last weekend I had 3 adults on board and pulling 3 kids (7-9 years old) on a tube and could still hit 31-32 mph. I thought that was decent.

Back