Do SS Props Rust?

Michiman

Reaction score
Up until last year, I've never owned a SS prop. When I put my boat in storage (indoor) last Fall, the prop was as shiny as the day I took delivery. However, when I picked it up in July, I immediately noticed that it had small rust spots all over it. My dealer suggested that that's quite normal as a SS prop does contain metal that is prone to environmental conditions (acid rain, lake water, etc.). 

So, my question is this: Does your SS prop show rust stains like mine?

http://IMG_0937.JPG

/monthly_2017_08/large.IMG_0937.JPG.4f81b6f4892a88fc2accb0db292f1021.JPG

Yes SS can rust.

And to think I even waxed it last year! LOL

Mine has no rust (2014) stored inside in the winter ,motor is trimmed up in the slip .

I wax mine also ,when I wax the panels 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine does.

Mine has no rust (2014) stored inside in the winter ,motor is trimmed up in the slip .

Wasn't there something on here a while back saying you shouldn't wax your prop? I thought it said something about the prop losing some of its "bite" .

Wasn't there something on here a while back saying you shouldn't wax your prop? I thought it said something about the prop losing some of its "bite" .

Good Question ,but as much sand that I kick up at the sand bar when the water is low .It cant last 

Ditto: trimmed up at the marina and stored indoors over the long Michigan winter. Congratulations on a non-rusty prop! Can you tell I'm a bit envious??

Lots of different kinds of SS.  As in dozens.  I was looking for a good knife once, and was amazed at all the different kinds of SS.  Some rusts.  Some is magnetic while others are not.  Some are very hard (knives).  Some are soft and workable (cut/drill).  Just saying that something is "stainless steel" doesn't really tell you much about what the metal is or how it will perform.  Calling something "stainless" is like calling a cookie a cookie.  Doesn't tell you much.

I think Mercury props advertise their own propriety alloy blend of stainless.  They call it "X" something.  Mine has never rusted far as I know.  Thanks Todd!

UPDATE:  150 grades of SS.  15 are common.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

Must be a merc thing....my reliance isn't rusty. Oh, and I've never waxed it either.

I recall that.

So rust is even gooder then???

More betterer. 

I did a quick check on "the Google" and one of the racing forums were saying that their racing props were usually Satin finished, just to add a little extra bite. I have no experience in the matter, just relaying info.

More betterer. 

I did a quick check on "the Google" and one of the racing forums were saying that their racing props were usually Satin finished, just to add a little extra bite. I have no experience in the matter, just relaying info.

I only wax my lower unit. Learned from the best.....Link.

I only wax my lower unit. Learned from the best.....Link.

We just took a HARD left turn!

So rust is even gooder then???

Nope, rust would make it badder...er as it's not smooth, but wax is too smooth... I have no clue I just recall somone saying don't wax your prop... or you'll go blind. From the glare Andy...from the glare...JEEZ!

Always waxed the prop when I'm waxing the lower unit.

Hasn't rusted yet.......

I had never given it any thought. I guess I just expected it not to rust. First summer on our ss prop.  We will see how it does in the upcoming years.

Back