Dock Lines

GWLK

Reaction score
Getting ready to put the boat in the water and was going through the check list.  Since the dock lines that came with the boat are getting old and worn, I was thinking of replacing them.  So, is there a preference, 3-strand over solid braid?  Is there one manufacture better than another?  Any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I just got mine at West Marine and was mainly interested in the length and matching the boat color.

Now, my BIL has a new pontoon (Bentley, not Bennington) and uses plain rope and bungy cords. :)

You'll most likely be good with anything that is listed as such..... that is, unless you're docked in one of those channels on the Lake of the Ozarks during a heavy weekend. 

Personally, I'd go with three strand nylon. I think it will stand up to the elements better over the long run than the cheaper cotton. I bought a 100' of 3/8 at West Marine for my anchor but didn't need all of it so I had them cut it up for dock lines. I'm sure others with a bit more experience will chime in.

I like the double braided nylon. Doesn't tangle very easy.  Heavy when you need to throw it.

I find my 25 footers get the most use.

Last edited by a moderator:
3/8 double braided. Very inexpensive at Walmart......

Back