Docking A Single Drive made easy...

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
I just read this, and thought it was interesting.

As written by Russell F. Moran:

1. The Stern Moves First.

You probably heard this when you first started boating but didn't grasp its importance. If you operate a single screw boat, knowing this means everything. Consider posting it on your steering station. The stern moves first, both in forward AND reverse. Power boats seem to steer like cars. I use the word seem, because your senses tell you that the boat is acting like a car. You turn the wheel left and the bow turns left. But the bow only looks like it’s doing the turning; it’s not, the stern is in charge. The bow is moving because it’s being pushed that way by the propeller—on the stern, pushing the water against the rudder, and the stern moves first. Drill this into your brain so that you won’t have to think about it.

2. Forget the Throttle
All that you need to do with the throttle is to engage it at the lowest setting. Consider putting a sock or plastic cup over the throttle to remind you of this rule. The reason to forget the throttle is that it has little to do with getting you next to the dock, as you will see in the next rule.

3. The Maneuver —The Simplicity Continues
Pull your boat parallel to and a few feet from the dock. Yes, parallel, not angled into it. Next, put your helm all the way away from the dock. If the dock is to starboard turn the wheel to port, and vice versa for a portside approach. Now, put it in forward and slowly say “forward one thousand,” and then put it in neutral. Then immediately put it in reverse and say “reverse one thousand,” and put it in neutral again. Repeat this simple maneuver until you gently move the boat right next to the dock. You will notice an amazing thing. The boat appears to be pushed at the dock by some invisible hand. The short bursts of forward and reverse make for a smooth approach.
YELL for help if you have to
Wind Considerations

Wind can make a difference. The above maneuver will work even with a slight wind off your beam pushing you away from the dock, but a very strong breeze calls for common sense. If the water is choppy it can make the maneuver only a bit more difficult.

• Reduce your “sail area” as much as possible. Sail area on a powerboat is the term that applies to flat surfaces that catch the wind, such as cabin bulkheads and windows. This is especially pronounced on a trawler with an enclosed bimini top. The simple solution to the problem is to open all of the windows so that the wind will pass through rather than push against the surface as if it were a sail.
  • If you have a bow thruster use it if necessary. When practicing the maneuver described in this article, avoid using the bow thruster. Rely instead on working and learning the maneuver itself. But if the wind is blowing you off the dock, use the thruster. Oh yes, check your bow thruster every time you get underway. When the time comes to use it you don’t want to discover that it's stuck because it has become a home for solidified sea critters.
  • Don’t be shy. Shout for assistance or radio in advance when you’re in a strong blow.
  • Your boat has an anchor—use it. If the wind is extreme, find a sheltered harbor and drop the hook. You can head for the dock when the weather calms down. Knowing how to anchor a boat is as important as knowing how to dock the boat.
Now that you can dock your single screw boat like a double, you can contemplate all the gas money that you’re saving by having only one engine.

Interesting. Not having been on a boat prior to buying mine I was not very good when I started so I would go out early mornings before anyone else was up and practice docking. I would dock and then go out and come in again. I practiced from coming in at different angles as well as backing in. Enough practice made me fairly good but I have never tried this way. I copied and pasted the article into my Bennington folder on my laptop and will try this when I go back up to the lake

Since I just read it this morning, I surely haven't tried it, either. Looking forward to giving it a shot. I've just don't the best I could in the situation at hand, but certainly followed no specific guideline. Probably looked like a duck hunter armed with a bag of rocks.

I basically do what this says unless the wind is blowing hard from our port side. I will then come in at a 45 degree angle, she jumps off, Hooks front cleat, I then reverse with motor turned to port and backswing the stern in to the dock. Easy-peezy .....

On a related note, I received some good advice early on – “motor into the wind.” I get affected by wind and tidal currents in my marina, and sometimes you have to back out into the wind or current instead of trying to force everything “bow first” like a car when things aren’t going right. It’s more important to have control over where you want to go, like when leaving a crowded gas dock, than to fit a preconceived notion that you “ought” to be able to go bow first.

Having “motor into the wind” in the back of my mind sure helps in difficult conditions. Of course, bow thrusters would be nice. :)

I basically do what this says unless the wind is blowing hard from our port side. I will then come in at a 45 degree angle, she jumps off, Hooks front cleat, I then reverse with motor turned to port and backswing the stern in to the dock. Easy-peezy .....

This is exactly what I've done when the wind isn't cooperating. Works perfectly!

Back