electrical start issues

Bennie

Reaction score
I posted a comment last year about this. Here is my dilemma. I have a 2012 G2574 with a Merc 250 supercharged. I have the dual battery set up installed from the factory.

It was fine the first couple times out. Then all of a sudden I when i go to start the motor all I get is clicking. After about 10 - 15 times moving he throttle, turning things on and off it would start.

I progressively got worse. All of last summer in order to start the motor I would have to go to the dual switch adn move to a single battery. Start right up.

I then switch to dual when running like always and no problem. Then I beach or just stop and try to start and I have to do the same thing again.

I Bought it from Munson Marine, IL and they sent me a new switch. Tried it and didnt work. They sent me a second switch and it didnt work.

I took it to a local marine dealer. They worked on it over 12 hours and never found the problem but it did work just for the weekend and then same problem came back.

Spoke to Munson and they didnt know what to say.

End of season I took it to Basa Marine, IL for winterizing, and check the problem. They couldn't isolate the problem. What they decided it it is the batteries that I have. They recommended I replace them as the "amperage may not be consistent"

I have 2 Interstate Sealed AGM Deep Cycle batteries.

I brought it over to their headquarters in Mokena IL. They tested them and fond nothing wrong with the batteries. They said that there could be intermittent amp change but couldnt find it in their tests. They did give me 2 brand new batteries. That was awesome!

since it is winterized I couldnt check them out.

So, Any of you experienced this before? Mercury Reps? Bennington mechanics?

I am hoping I dont have to bring it to Munson as it is about about 100 miles from my location.

Other than that this boat is awesome!

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bennie

I would check for loose cables everywhere. From the batt to the starter, EVERYTHING. Just because something is new does not mean it is not bad.

Sounds like a intermittent bad ground. I agree with Duckgrinder, check all cables. Also check deadman switch the one on our 2006 Bennington would act up sometimes causing a no start cond. Found the problem by wiggling everything while trying to start the engine.

RiverBill

After 2 dealerships worked extensively on it they both confirmed the wiring is good.

It almost seems as if 2 batteries are causing a infrequent voyage/amperage thus causing issues back to the starter.

When I change the battery switch to a single it works every time.

I've had a ground cable be bad. It was a sealed unit so I assumed there was no way it was bad. Replaced it and never had another problem. On my camper, the power cable going into camper went bad. Again, it was a sealed unit so it stumped us until we jumped the whole cable and everything was fine.

I would change out the ground cable on the one battery that is not used in the single battery configuration.

I'm voting bad cable or terminal also. Especially since "single" works fine.

If all the connections are checked out good, you might still be dealing with the wrong type of batteries. Also, if one battery is discharged, when you join them in parallel with the switch, they tend to equalize for a bit. The good one charges the bad one, but it can take some time. Perhaps that's why it eventually starts?

The Verado is VERY fussy about the batteries and even many Merc dealers don't understand the requirements and how to test them. I'm not familiar with those particular Interstate AGM's, but you really should have at least one 1000 CCA+ (not MCA) AGM and 135min minimum RC rating battery that is a "Starting" battery or dual purpose AGM, not deep cycle. There was a specific service bulletin from Mercury in 2008 addressing this very issue, though most dealers ignore it.

Here is a list that they actually approved a while back:

-Odyssey PC1500, PC1700, PC2150 and PC2250.

-Optima Group 31

-West Marine Sea Volt Group 27 AGM.

-Cabela's Advanced Angler ** Group 24 and 27.

-Trolling Thunder TT1175 and TT1370.

-Excide Megacycle (Mercury Brand) MC-31 and XMC-31.

-Sears Die Hard Platinum 34M and 31M.

-Deka Sea Mate 8A27M and 8A31DTM

To test them you need to measure the voltage while it's cranking to see if it meets minimum spec. It's strange because the starter may even spin just fine, but the voltage needed for all of the electronics on it is still below limits so the Verado says "no". Whenever you have low voltage situation the cycling with the ignition key can get the electronics out of sync. I was told to put it in the start position for at least 10 seconds, wait until self test beeps are done, then twist the starter.

Also, note the switch on the Benny does not automatically charge both batteries, as you would need something like a BlueSeas VSR to do that or an onboard battery charger hooked up to AC to charge the backup.

I had them install Sears DieHard Platinum group 31 AGM's for mine (same as Odyssey PC2150), which are 1150 CCA's so they do meet the spec.

There is a TON of good information on this over on the Verado Club board www.veradoclub.com. I joined and paid the dues just to have the expert help available.

Switching from duals to single is where I would start. That is opposite of what usually happens. Seems like an amp draw on battery #1 that keeps it from starting if #2 starts it by itself. Steve

I bought my Bennie from Munson Marine too - small world.

If it were me, I would rewire the dual battery setup to dedicated 'House' and 'Starting' systems, and use a combiner like the Blue Sea Systems 'Add a Battery' package, or the Yandina C100. No more switching batteries or worrying about which battery is charged. Run the stereo etc all you want while on the hook, and have a fresh battery for starting without touching a battery switch. I'm thinking it would resolve your intermittent starting troubles as well, as you would essentially always be starting in single battery mode. Pretty easy to do, I setup the Blue Sea Systems package on my bow runner several years back, and am adding a Yandina to my Bennington this Spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I added the Yandina C-100 combiner to my GCW and haven't touched my battery switch since. I've run my stereo until it dropped out and had plenty of juice in the starter battery to get going! I did move the stereo over to the house battery but kept the fish finder on the starter circuit. (Mostly because I was lazy)

This is a follow up to my electrical problem. As it turned out, it was a wiring issue from the start to the motor. The dealer never got into specifics even though I tried to pry it out of them.

It is running great with no issues.

Thanks to all "Bennie" owners who responded with suggestions.

Happy pontooning!

Back