Electrolysis & Galvanic Corrosion

STILLBOATING

Reaction score
I purchased a new 23LSB IN 2021. It has 123 hours on it and has been stored in a slip at our lake. When I pulled it out for maintenance, I saw multiple white corrosion marks and when whipped off, it had small pock marks and looked like someone shot it with a BB gun. I found out that apparently there is electrostatic activity in the water and its attracted to my pontoons causing the damage. This is disheartening as this was a brand new boat. I never heard of this until it happened to me. I need to get it repaired and Bennington is sending me Anodes to avoid further damage, but I need to get the damage repaired.

Does anyone have experience with how to repair this damage and suggested preventative measures? Anyone have insurance cover the cost of repair? I have comprehensive insurance, but the agent isn't sure this issue is covered.

STILLBOATING.......barely

Has anyone found the source of the electrostatic activity ? That's a good question about insurance coverage. Other than replace ,are the pock marks shallow enough that they could be sanded? I had 1 tube replaced for a hit and run in 2016 ,cost was about $3500.00 . Insurance covered it .

The water was tested by the management at the Lake and they found no activity, however their equipment is only testing for stronger currents. I caught the damage fairly early and the boat is out of the water until its repaired. I believe it could be sanded, however I haven't had a professional look at it yet. Everyone is months out on boat repair right now. I've had people tell me to paint the pontoons with ablation paint, or epoxy. Nobody seems to have a definitive answer.
Thanks for your reply

Regarding insurance I would read the policy first and go from there. And I would try to source the electrical current as an adjuster isn't just going to take someone's word for it - if this is damage caused by another party then the carrier may want to go after them or their insurance as well (marina? homeowner?).

It doesn't hurt to try but without more facts it probably is an uphill battle.

Edit - here is my policy, in the Exclusions section:

96435673-C458-4A10-BDB0-ADBFB575E4CE.jpeg

Last edited:
When mine was hit ,I knew who hit it, they were paid a visit by LE and denied it. I told the insurance co who it was along with the proof. They told me it would cost them less to fix the damage than to go after the person or their insurance company.

Regarding insurance I would read the policy first and go from there. And I would try to source the electrical current as an adjuster isn't just going to take someone's word for it - if this is damage caused by another party then the carrier may want to go after them or their insurance as well (marina? homeowner?).

It doesn't hurt to try but without more facts it probably is an uphill battle.

Edit - here is my policy, in the Exclusions section:

View attachment 34150
Thanks - good info and advice!

Yeah unfortunately that is not a fortuitous event and occurred over time which is a situation insurance policies aren’t intended to cover. “Sudden and accidental” is the key.

Find the source of the current and file a liability claim against them for your property damage. If this is in a marina and you signed an agreement read the whole thing as there might be a waiver of subrogation or protection in their to their benefit.

There is an extensive discussion of exactly this kind of damage on this site. Not sure how to find it, but I remember being a part of it a couple years(?) ago. Current leakage at marinas/boats is common and dangerous and is why no one should go swimming in a marina. Also, non-marine appliances, chargers, or damaged wiring can be the source. A damaged boat might be just part of the circuit for stray current or might be the source.

Hope you can track the discussion elsewhere here and the problem.

Back