Engine guard

Hawklakebenny

Reaction score
I have a problem with my dock slot at the marina where our boat sits. The current keeps pushing boats into the back of our engine. It's been damaged once already, and it's only 2 months old. Has anyone found an aluminum bar or engine guard that can protect my outboard?

I was thinking like a ski bar that extends around the back of the engine.

Jack?!?

I understand that you want to protect your boat/engine........I think the real problem stands with the boat owners around you that do not properly tie up to prevent their boats from drifting from where they are towards where you're moored. The marina owner has to also play a role. Signs could be posted of this problem or if boat owners need help properly tying up the marina staff could help.........

Ask for a slip change..........up wind!

I'm trying to picture how you guys park, my Marina and all I have seen around here is 2 boats side by side and the most I can see is two boats rubbing against each other if one isn't tied just right. Got a pic of your situation?

A TurboSwing ski tow bar might help, but I agree with others that you need to address the source of the problem.

http://turboswingus.com/

Our boat sticks out about 3 feet past the end of the dock, and we are in the lane way going to the fuel pump. Unfortunately boats coming down the lane between the docks are pushed by the current right into the back of the boat. I'm going to buy a 1-1/2 " aluminum piping and have it bent to go around the outboard as a bumper and mount it on pins to easily remove if I need to raise the outboard fully. Hopefully the marina will resolve the placement of my boat soon.

Can you put bumpers or something along the entire rear section to protect it?!? Is the current that strong where the boats going to the pumps can't safely navigate w/ out hitting other boats?!?

Yes the current changes as they draw water from the dam on our lake. Sometimes it gets quite strong when they pull 2 logs out of the dam.

I was thinking something along these lines

http://www.tmpmarine.com/pages/freedom_fenders/freedom_fenders.html

You could easily tie a couple of big ones on the back of your boat and it'd be protected! 

My first thought was of finding the biggest normal fenders you could find(that have a tie hole on top and bottom), and get a rope and make a full half circle around the back of your boat. Tie them to the rope end to end and just let the float. Might stop most accidents. Or get two of those huge ones in the link and you are safe as can be!

What about a motion camera similar to those used for hunting. Then when they hit your boat you file a police report for a hit and run. As said above don't treat a symptom, treat the problem.

Back