Engine model year vs Boat model year

SquareB

Reaction score
We just received our registration paperwork and titles for our new 27 QSBWAT2 and was very surprised to see that our new 2024 model year boat had a 2022 and 2023 engine installed, both engines were new, just different model years.
I was told that this was actually happens frequently and that our engines (Yamaha 300's) did not have any changes thru those years so there is essentially no difference in the engines and its not a big deal.
I'm not sure we would have accepted this is we knew prior to taking delivery of the boat.
Curious if anyone else has had experience with this and any comments.

Boat motors do not have yearly designations . The warranty " should " begin when the boat and motor are put into service.

I don’t think it is unusual per-say. But also maybe not overly common.

Unless one specifies same model year for boat AND motor at order time, they tend to put whatever is next in stock lineup on the boats for the manufacturer/HP/model motor ordered.

I think it’s a bit more common to have the boat and motor within one year of eachother, so having a 2024 built boat with ‘22 and ‘22 year motors seems a bit…much. It also throws me off that the two motors for your dual set up are not at least the same motor build year, but I guess I get it if identical builds otherwise.

Anywho, as Jack mentioned, new motors (regardless of build year) don’t begin their warranty life until installed on the boat and put into service, so you are at least squared away there.

Our 2019 boat came with a 2020 Mercury. We actually bought the boat at the end of 2019 but the dealer kept the boat on his lot where we actually took delivery in the spring. They put a motor on the boat for our test drive from another boat in December. They put a new 2020 Mercury on it when we picked it up in the spring .....

I find this interesting, as our motors are the same year, 2024, as our boat. They too are the Yamaha 300's. I just received the titles for them yesterday.

Correct me if I am wrong: motors come down to what’s in the inventory or lineup of the purchase dealership.?. I was told this when we were looking at placing our order, but I never dug into it any further. That being separate from if you put a direct order in, dependent on them picking the specific motor and/or year of motor…?

Last edited:
With all the supply chain issues with engines, I’d be thankful you were able to get two 300’s. It’s just a mental thing knowing 22 vs. 23.If you hadn’t found out it would be a non-issue. What if they would have said, we only have a 22 and a 23 … if you want to wait for months we’ll match years, would you have had an issue with one manufactured Jan 2nd and one on December 30th? Enjoy the boat and don’t dwell on it. :)

With all the supply chain issues with engines, I’d be thankful you were able to get two 300’s. It’s just a mental thing knowing 22 vs. 23.If you hadn’t found out it would be a non-issue. What if they would have said, we only have a 22 and a 23 … if you want to wait for months we’ll match years, would you have had an issue with one manufactured Jan 2nd and one on December 30th? Enjoy the boat and don’t dwell on it. :)
Good question SEMPERF! I’m curious what year mine is. Still haven’t received paperwork yet. But all I cared about was it having zero hours and the warranty. I’ll let every know when I get the paperwork. Until then, enjoy your boat and don’t stress about it.

I get that the warranty issue is unaffected, but I still would be annoyed about having older outboards on my boat. Not trying to stir the pot but consider:

1) Did you pay 2023 prices for that 2022 outboard? Not sure if there was a price increase between then and now, but typically consumer goods depreciate with time, not appreciate.

2) If/when you sell the boat a buyer may consider both number of hours on the outboards and age based on date of manufacture. Certain things degrade or fade with time like rubber belts, plastic bits, paint color etc. so an OB that shows it is 2 years older than the boat model year might require some additional explanation

On the flip side, your purchase agreement likely did not make any representation or certification of the age of the OB's - probably just HP and model #. So contractually they probably could have put an unused 5-year old outboard on there, although my guess is you'd have a much better argument from a depreciation standpoint.

Also, if the date of manufacture was LATE 2022 then my level of annoyance would be much, much less than early 2022. Sad to say but agreed with Semperfi that due to backlogs I'd just be happy to have them hung and you're going boating. The alternative would be for the dealer to reach out and ask if you want to wait another 3 painful months if you wanted a second 2023 OB.

In these crazy times it's best to just accept the little nits in life and focus on making memories with your loved ones.

Back