Engine Trim Gauge Intermittent

Neal & Jamie

Reaction score
We have a 2018 20’ SLMX Bennington with a 60 HP Merc and we love the boat. Has anyone experienced an intermittent Engine Trim gauge? Ours seem to only function when the engine is completely warmed. After the engine is warmed it works perfectly.

i have seen this as well. if we stop in a cove and swim, sometimes the trim stays where we left it when we swam and n0ot where it is when we take off. after a minute or two it goes to where it should. rare but i have noticed it before.

ok since i replied it is happening more as well. on the yamaha where is the sensor to clean to help with this, anyone out there have a picture of what we can clean to make the trim gauge work all the time?

We are experiencing the same problem. Boat and motor all brand new. It happened on day one and continues. At least for us it is not due to anything needing cleaning. We are still looking for an answer as well. Thanks.

yeah hopefully some of the more knowledgeable forum members will reply soon and help us out. They usually do but this time of year most may be more focused on enjoying their Benny vs posting on forum. well see.

Never seen or heard of it. I’d imagine rigging with different motors and set ups might affect peoples ability to chime in. Hopefully some of our more mechanically knowledgeable members have some thoughts. If on a brand new Bennington (really any under warranty), I’d just follow up with the dealer. Just Incase something remotely major is off, they can deal with it. Then you are on top of the CYA aspect of it. ;)

If your under warranty I agree with Vikingstaff, let the dealer worry about it.
I'm no expert, but here's my $.02 and what I'd do before paying someone to look at it.
Different engines have different types of systems, but generally speaking the trim sending unit is always subject to corrosion because they are low on the mid-section and get wet all the time.
First I'd check if it works right. Loosen the two adjustment screws and rotate the sensor both ways. Does the gauge sweep smooth both ways and seem right? If not, I'd suspect the sending unit and replace it. If you buy one make sure you get the right one, do you have a digital or analog trim sensor? Analog = old school trim gauge, Digital if you have Smartcraft or DTS.
If the sending unit sweeps the gauge nice and smooth both ways I'd think it was good. To adjust it, trim the engine down all the way and then rotate the sending unit so the gauge shows right at full down position and snug adjusting screws down.
Next look at the wires and any connections. Are the wires corroded or broken anywhere? There is a specific way they are routed so they don't get pinched when trimming the engine, make sure someone didn't mess with them and they are getting pinched somewhere. Follow them up under the cowl and look for corrosion, smashed or broken wires. If you don't see anything I'd make sure the wires are tight on the back of the gauge and again look for any smashed/pinched wires under the dash.

Had same issue on my 18. Found issue to be wire connections at back of trim gauge. Wiggle each wire at the connections and see if it goes where it should be. On mine I just had to squeeze the connections a bit tighter

Had that issue on my Yamaha 150 4 stroke. Was able to adjust the sensor on the engine to correct it. It takes very little movement for the adjustment however.

Back