Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Engine Trim Gauge Question

Discussion in 'Pontoon Forum' started by jtrovato21, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:47 AM.

1. jtrovato21

jtrovato21 Member

Our trim gauge doesn't move from all the way down until the engine is just about to hit the part of the range where it comes up fast to go all the way up. I asked the dealer about it and he said that's the way they all are. So the gauge does me no good in telling where the engine is within the range of usable trim. Once the gauge starts moving, the engine is too far up. Anyone have this experience or know of a fix?

2. ILLINOIS AVE

ILLINOIS AVE Well-Known Member

Yes I have that issue also ! I have a Yamaha 150 h.p. I don.t know if the size of the motor matters. My other Bennington I had a Yamaha 90 h.p. and didn't have the issue. More members will have other ideas.

3. Dennis T.

Dennis T. Well-Known Member

no not as described. mine sometimes want to stay on the full down display when raised if we first start out from being shut off like a cove or at the dock, but comes up to correct spot in a few minutes. I just timed it from all the way down to where i like it and that works for me until it does catch up. i found the part that has a tab that registers it for the gauge on the motor and clean and activated it with my hand a few times and it is much better now.

4. ILLINOIS AVE

Dennis T.Where did you find the part that has the tab on the motor ? Thanks !

5. Dennis T.

someone on this forum told me where to look. this is what it looks like: it is called the trim sender. it rotates when the mo[​IMG]it

Chris Z likes this.
  6. Dennis T.

here is one from a 250 motor, old[​IMG]er one, but you get the idea of what to look for on yours

Chris Z likes this.
  7. basshawk84

basshawk84 Well-Known Member

You can adjust the trim sender on the engine, but its a little tricky. It doesn't take much movement on the adjustment to make a big difference if I remember correctly.

Chris Z likes this.
  8. ILLINOIS AVE

I will check into the trim sender . Thanks Guys!

9. Chris Z

Chris Z Well-Known Member

Something more alarming caught my eye with your post. Your dealer basically blew you off with misinformation about a reasonably simple repair. My trim gauge is accurate and always has been. That's not "the way they all are".

If this is a dealer that you like doing business with I would swing around and above whoever told you that and let the owner or manager know that the service people are perhaps doing neither him or you any favors.

Just my opinion.

Vikingstaff and Dennis T. like this.
  10. jtrovato21

jtrovato21 Member

It was our sales guy that told me this, I haven't asked the service department yet, but since I'm seeing all these replies that it's not "normal" I will be asking service to take a look at it and adjust the trim sender. We keep the boat at the marina/dealer that we bought it at, so it's right there for them to look at it.

Chris Z and Vikingstaff like this.