Engine Vibration

jfrack77

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Starting last weekend, i have this strange engine vibration.   I changed the spark plugs thinking that was the issue, but it still vibrates more than normal.   Just took it for a ride and it on a full throttle run it still hit 38 (was a bit choppy) and the vibration seemed to go away the higher the rpms, but when i powered down, they came back.   here is a vid of what I'm talking about.

http://vid1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh487/FracksBike/IMG_1706_zps84e01bed.mp4

I would ask your dealer and here is the customer service # for Mercury 

920-929-5040

I have to ask.... Did you check the prop? See if a blade is bent or nicked and is it tight.

Steve

I have to ask.... Did you check the prop? See if a blade is bent or nicked and is it tight.

Steve
This is where I'd start to trouble shoot.

If it was the prop........ wouldn't it vibrate at all RPMs?!? Especially at full throttle...........

Water in the fuel?!?

Ive checked the prop and its fine, put brand new plugs in it.   And like Big Kahuna says, it does it at idle and while moving so it shouldnt be the prop.   I am going to put some stabil in today and see if that fixes it.   I only use 89 (non ethanol) in the tank.....   

Stabil won't "fix" anything. If you want to try pouring stuff in, I would use either Seafoam or Techron. They are more of a cleaner and you could have a clogged injector.

I've seen old/bad gasoline cause similar issues, but  if it will still do normal max speed at wot then I doubt if that is the culprit.    And, yes if it runs rough at idle w/o prop engaged that eliminates a damaged prop, but in your video it appeared the prop was engaged at idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on Seafoam.............

When you removed the old spark plugs, did any of them look significantly different from the others?

"Reading" spark plugs can be very helpful when trouble shooting a misfire, They all should be consistent in color on the ceramic tip of the plug. One that is wet with fuel or black with carbon indicates too much fuel, or weak spark. One that is whiter than the others indicates lean fuel from a bad injector or vacuum leak.

I should be on the lake right now instead of posting on here, but the rain clouds have moved in and i am waiting it out..............

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was the prop........ wouldn't it vibrate at all RPMs?!? Especially at full throttle...........
It will seem to smooth out some as rpm increases, it's the low to mid range that will usually will shake it to death. It also depends on the damage to the prop.

Steve

behaves like uneven cylinder ignition at low speed. Read the plugs. Depending on motor, you may have electronic dist and one coil or coil packs. Could be a coil pack going bad or has some moisture init and higher power levels over come it. I'd ride the warranty to the dealer and tell them to get into it.

Forgive my stupidity, but it's nothing like a car when they accidentally put the wrong spark plug wire on the wrong spark plug? For some reason I thought I saw that on TV(one of the many car/garage shows) that they did that once and it misfired like crazy, obviously. Probably makes me sound like an idiot,  but hey, what do I care! Haha 

Hey guys and gals,

Starting last weekend, i have this strange engine vibration.   I changed the spark plugs thinking that was the issue, but it still vibrates more than normal.   Just took it for a ride and it on a full throttle run it still hit 38 (was a bit choppy) and the vibration seemed to go away the higher the rpms, but when i powered down, they came back.   here is a vid of what I'm talking about.

http://vid1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh487/FracksBike/IMG_1706_zps84e01bed.mp4
jfrack, I just had this same exact thing happen to my Mercury Verado 225.  I originally thought bad spark plugs, so I bought six new ones. Same result. Put Stabil in fuel and still same result. Called my dealer which is hour away on a saturday and they drove up right away and picked it up. Had it back to me Monday morning. Pencil Coil #6 went bad. Following weekend, my dealer called me and said they were on their way up with 5 new pencil coils. They spoke to Mercury and Mercury said there was a bad batch and if one goes, they all could go. Mercury barcodes 30 different engine parts so they track when everything was made, what batch, etc. Because they have all this information tracked, they were able to make the decision to have them replaced immediately. All this was for free! Great customer service from both my dealer and Mercury.  Now my Verado purrs like a kitten again!

jfrack, I just had this same exact thing happen to my Mercury Verado 225.  I originally thought bad spark plugs, so I bought six new ones. Same result. Put Stabil in fuel and still same result. Called my dealer which is hour away on a saturday and they drove up right away and picked it up. Had it back to me Monday morning. Pencil Coil #6 went bad. Following weekend, my dealer called me and said they were on their way up with 5 new pencil coils. They spoke to Mercury and Mercury said there was a bad batch and if one goes, they all could go. Mercury barcodes 30 different engine parts so they track when everything was made, what batch, etc. Because they have all this information tracked, they were able to make the decision to have them replaced immediately. All this was for free! Great customer service from both my dealer and Mercury.  Now my Verado purrs like a kitten again!
Thanks for the info.   After further inspection, the prop was bent, but that has nothing to do with the idle vibration.   I still think there may be something up (possibly the problem that you had) but the boat runs great once in gear now that Ive put a new prop on.   I am going to keep an eye on it for now.

Back