ESP vs. SPP

Calamus

Reaction score
Ok this may seem like a dumb question I was reading about the differences of the two hulls and the esp performs more like v hull boat. It looks like the center toon on the esp sits 3 1/2" lower than the outside toons, now I know its a bigger elliptical, so here is my question why couldnt bennington set the center toon on the spp 3 1/2" lower than the outside toons would you get more of a v hull performance? It would seem to me that even a little bit lower on the center toon in theory that would give you better turning. Right?????

esp_aft.jpg

esp_bottom_il.jpg

standard_performance_il.jpg

The center tube isn't 3 1/2" lower. Manitou has patents on the lowered center toon, so ESP was Bennington's way of designing a better mousetrap. It definitely works.

I see that. has anyone thought about putting some spacers between the deck and toon. Do you think that would improve the performance of the boat maybe get some more speed out of it? Someone out there has thought about this right? I would not want to do this on a new boat warranty reasons but if I had an older boat I would consider trying this. Just rattling stuff through my brain. Im recovering for a hip surgery with nothing to do but sit and think. I have been through almost every pontoon company build a boat on pontoon deckboat mags web sight. I am very happy with the Bennington we built! 

has anyone thought about putting some spacers between the deck and toon. Do you think that would improve the performance of the boat maybe get some more speed out of it? Someone out there has thought about this right? I would not want to do this on a new boat warranty reasons but if I had an older boat I would consider trying this.
Yes it's been done [: )

Is a Manitou SHP fast? Is it the best handling toon on the market? If you answered YES to those questions, then you know the answer. Is it the same, well......not quite.

I still believe that the Bennington ESP and Premier PTX is a better concept and a much better riding boat than the Manitou SHP.

My friend with the new 25' Manitou SHP Explode / 300 Etec used to own a 26' Playcraft / Merc 250. He loves the handling of the SHP, but says it doesn't take the rough water nearly as well as the Playcraft. He was animately negative about the SHP's rough water ride comparatively. Put some weight on the SHP and that extra speed goes right out the window.

He has pointed out many poor design flaws on his boat since he got it and, IMO, he is regretting his purchase. If I (290lbs) sit on the center of his front loungers, the seat flexes down about 2" and appears as if it's ready to break. No support. Major design oversite.

Sorry for the Manitou rant, but it is what it is...........not up to par with Bennington and a few others regardless of how fast it is or how well it handles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bam!

Back