Essentials for my first boat??

Adam2012

Reaction score
I've seen a few recent similar posts, however, I can really use this basic info. What would be the BASIC NECESSARY ITEMS I need to get started this coming season. I know my boat comes with a basic "coast guard kit", but I am looking for any other basics. Not looking for entertainment type stuff- more interested in things like rope, bumpers, etc including quantities. Thanks for any help with this!!

I would say a

couple of good, long dock lines

I always have a booster pack (used it 3 times last year for other people!)

Paddles, I know, tough to paddle something this big, but mandatory here

I have a box/bag for people's shoes (no shoe rule on my boat)

Extra key for the ignition

Ipod cable for tunes

We keep a bucket with a bottle of soap and some towels for quick cleanup if something spills

Little tool kit/box

Obviously life jackets

Zip ties, and something to cut them with, amazingly handy

Extra dog food (for the dogs just in case they miss supper time!)

Roll of toilet paper! (sure a bear can crap in the woods, but what does he wipe with!!emergency only!)

Derrick,

Good basic list, I would add a First Aid kit. Seems someone is always getting a cut or scrape!

RiverBill

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dock lines. I have six of these on the boat. You'd be AMAZED at how much you use them. I keep 4 x 25', and 2 x 15' on the boat.
  • Trash bags. Can be used for multiple uses (i.e. rain coat)
  • Foul weather gear. You never know when you're going to get caught coming home in rain or cold.
  • Toilet paper. 'nuf said.
  • Leatherman Surge. Absolutely don't go out without one.
  • LED Flashlight(s). Waterproof, keep it in your pocket. NOTE: if you order this specific one, you MUST order a battery pack and recharger for it. Batteries are not included with the flashlight and it uses special batteries.
  • Simple first-aid kit.
  • Fuel-Water filter wrench. If/when you get water in your fuel and it stops you dead in your tracks, you'll need to take off the F/W filter. It should only be tightened by hand, but mine was on so tight it wasn't coming off without one. Likes like an oil filter wrench.
  • Inflatable life vest. Much more comfortable than the "Coast Guard Kit" ones. I prefer the manual ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extendable dock hook and spotlight.

For everyone that uses zip-ties, if you cut them off they generally leave a very sharp protrusion, even when cut flush you can still feel them. A good trick for this is to take the blunt nose of your pliers and grab the tail as close to the locking portion as you can and twist it until it breaks. Usually doesn't take many turns and does not leave a sharp tail. Steve

Or buy flush-cut dikes.

Bottle opener !!! :p Gerry

I have Snap-on and a couple of other brands and they all cut flush to where you only feel smooth. The Snap-on's are new since they replaced a broken pair but the others are probably at least 20+ years old,and all I really used them for was cutting zipties and really small wires.

So I saw a few comments about bottle openers and wine cooler, and although this is slightly off topic, I have also seen many posts about people's cruises involving alcohol, I am in no way thinking these people aren't being responsible about drinking, but I wonder what are the laws in the US in regards to this? I know we went out one weekend and had about 8 of those Mike's hard lemonade (and a flask of rum) we picked my buddy up at the dock and started to cruise away and the brother in law cracked open a can and the CO's (Conservation Officers) pulled us over and wanted to know what we had onboard so we showed them the now 7 cans and they said either dump it in the lake or they were giving us a ticket. Obviously a no brainer, dumped out the cans. This kinda ticked me off since there was 4 of us on the boat, we weren't housing around,being loud, ignorant, just out for an enjoyable ride, and literally 5 seconds later, they boat right past a probably 22ft bowrider/wake boat with about 13 teenagers on it and they are on the rear platform FUNNELING beer! So I ask, did they just want to come and see how good a Bennington looked up close, or just being jerks? (this was on the 09 2075GLi)

So I saw a few comments about bottle openers and wine cooler, and although this is slightly off topic, I have also seen many posts about people's cruises involving alcohol, I am in no way thinking these people aren't being responsible about drinking, but I wonder what are the laws in the US in regards to this? I know we went out one weekend and had about 8 of those Mike's hard lemonade (and a flask of rum) we picked my buddy up at the dock and started to cruise away and the brother in law cracked open a can and the CO's (Conservation Officers) pulled us over and wanted to know what we had onboard so we showed them the now 7 cans and they said either dump it in the lake or they were giving us a ticket. Obviously a no brainer, dumped out the cans. This kinda ticked me off since there was 4 of us on the boat, we weren't housing around,being loud, ignorant, just out for an enjoyable ride, and literally 5 seconds later, they boat right past a probably 22ft bowrider/wake boat with about 13 teenagers on it and they are on the rear platform FUNNELING beer! So I ask, did they just want to come and see how good a Bennington looked up close, or just being jerks? (this was on the 09 2075GLi)
Derrick,

In the US, the laws vary by state. Here is what an Indiana DNR officer said recently when asked about "open containers":

"There is no "open container" law for boating. Everyone on the boat who is of legal age can be drinking. The driver can be drinking as well, however his BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration) cannot be over .08%.(just like a vehicle) For many people, the .08% BAC is reached with just a few drinks, so it is best (and safest) if the driver simply does not drink. Although the rest of the occupants are allowed to drink, other Indiana laws, such as Public Intoxication, Disorderly Conduct, Minor Consuming Alcohol, and all others still apply."

Same here in NC. I think you need to move south Derrick. :rolleyes:

I think your right! Although I am always the Captain and have to tow the boat home after anyway so I guess it really doesn't matter to me if my passengers can't consume alcohol either! Haha

Derrick, I know in Ontario you can have no alcohol, open or closed, on the boat while underway. Ontario Liquor License Act:

Sec. 32 (3) No person shall operate or have care or control of a boat that is underway while there is contained in the boat any liquor except as follows:

It is illegal to transport beverage alcohol in a boat unless the beverage alcohol is in a container that is unopened and the seal unbroken, or unless the beverage alcohol is packaged in baggage that is fastened closed or is not otherwise readily available to anyone in the vehicle. In a boat, the beverage alcohol must be stored in a closed compartment

Exception: A boat with permanent sleeping accommodations and permanent cooking and sanitary facilities, other than a boat used to carry passengers for hire, is considered to be a private place of residence. Broken seal containers are permitted, however, consumption of any beverage alcohol by any person on board is permitted only while the boat is at anchor or is secured to the dock or land.

Canada boating laws are at the link below...

http://boating.ncf.ca/alcohol.html

Thanks Padre! I had known what they were here in Manitoba since when I first bought the boat, everyone was saying "ohh if you have a toilet on board you can drink!" I didn't think it was right so I asked a CO, and they said the same as you. Just didn't know what laws were like to the South.

Oh and one more thing for the boat just to keep a little on topic, a cellphone charger! I always take my tablet with me too, it uses Internet through my phone and it has come in handy quite a bit when you need a quick Google answer to a boating question! Like the proper way to fill and empty water from the ballasts on an MB Sports boat!

The Arkansa Supreme Court just ruled on a DUI that was appealed all the way to them. At night a barge load of people were cruising and behaving. Wildlife officers pulled them over for a life jacket check and arrested the barge driver for DUI. He said they had no probable cause to pull them over. Long story short.... he was right.

We found out about the Canada rules 5 years ago. Brother-in-law with wife on his boat fishing and CO stopped to check for licenses and asked to look in cooler. 2 empty beer bottles. $250 fine and CO said they could take the boat if he wanted to. Family has been going to the same lake for 60 years but the newer rules don't allow for any common sense.

In Ontario, they are just as strict about life jackets, and life jacket color. If you do not have the proper amount of lj's, in the proper colors, automatic $500 fine. USA boats exempt as long as the jacket, no matter what color, have USCG approval on them. Also, if you don't have the flashlight, bailer bucket, PEALESS whistle and throw rope, another automatic $500 fine.

Back