Essentials for my first boat??

Ahh, but there is the difference, you are correct when it comes to LIFEjackets, but PFD (personal flotation device ) can be whatever color you like. If you are from Canada and normally boat in Canada, they have to say "approved by Canadian blah blah blah" which is tough because any of the neoprene vests from major companies mostly say USCGA approved. That's what mine say. Hopefully they don't get nitpicking about it though.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-lifejackets-few_words-1179.htm#lj02

I had forgotten about the throw rope. We were inspected years ago and the CO asked about it. I had never heard of one. The water patrol in KY had never asked for one. Through the internet, I found one place selling it. It is pretty slick little bag filled with rope. It snaps over the railing at the helm station so you never have to look for it. Even it not required, every boat should have one.

Derrick, ever CO we have been stopped by is very polite but I believe they get training on be nit-picky. Maybe when you have like 8 boats on the lake they have lots of time "heh"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back