Express Tube questions for my boat

fiddlebick

Reaction score
Hi Folks!   I just registered on this forum this morning although I have browsed several times.  I own a 25 ft RFS with a 135 Honda four stroke, 2003 model.  It is more boat than I was looking for last spring, but we love the length and luxury of our Benny.  I have been following the thread on this forum of the express tube project and I am thinking about doing one too.  Currently I can get 24 mph gps at wot, and I would hope to get 30 mph with the tube add on.  I am against the wall on several issues however, since my boat is longer and heavier, and the 135 is pretty heavy too.  Can anybody give me an idea as to whether I can expect 30mph with the third tube?  I am very new to boating, so I want to pick kthe minds of more experienced pontooners....  Also if I could get 30mph, I don't think strakes on the express tube will really help me much...again, longer, heavier boat vs. available horsepower.  Looking forward to the chats on this forum.  John.

3G13Lf3I15Lc5Gf5J1d594173d903175f1416.jpg

You didn't say what you plan to do with your boat.  Do you carry heavy loads (people?)  Are you pulling tubers or doing water sports?  Are you just looking for a faster straight line cruise and better fuel economy?

Getting an extra 5 mph will require your nosecones out of the water.  If you don't need the better handling or weight carrying capabilities of a straked express tube, installing a set of OEM strakes on your two toons might do the job for you. 

Fiddlebick,

There are several places on the Bennington website where there are rectangular boxes for "comments/questions".  One of these rectangular boxes appears on the floor plan page.  In the recent past, when I had an unusual question about Bennington Pontoon Boats that I thought the BenningtonMarine engineers could perhaps answer better than our fellow Bennington owners, I would enter this question in the "comments/questions" box and I got some very interesting answers from the BenningtonMarine manufacturing company itself (even from the Bennington engineers).  Concerning your question above, perhaps when the Bennington engineers and designers were evaluating the benefits of the future Express Tube Packages, SPS 200 Packages and Elliptical Sport Packages that they were designing, they may have obtained the exact performance specifications on a pontoon boat nearly identical to yours first without and then with an Express Tube Package newly added to the boat.  Perhaps Team Bennington itself can answer your question better than we current or future Bennington owners can.  I recommend you type your question about "the performance specifications of your boat both without and with an Express Tube Package and without and with lifting strakes" into the "comments/questions" box on the Bennington Website and ask Team Bennington itself.  Even if they never tested your particular boat both with and without an Express Tube Package or with and without lifting strakes, to be sure they must have tested several of their other models in this way to help them optimally design their Express Tube Package. 

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Bamaman, I do pull my grandchildren on the tube when they are out with us for the afternoon.  To get a good ride for them I keep the throttle wide open most of the time, and of course better overall ride and fuel economy is always attractive.  What concerns me is the extra weight and drag the third toon will add.  Since I have a 25ft boat the express tube for my model is going to be longer and heavier than what you would add to a smaller length boat.   What I am looking for on this forum is some idea if I can truely expect a minimum of 5 mph increase. I do not usually load up the boat with very many passengers, and if I did, speed would not be a concern.  The current load capacity is more than enough for the few guests we entertain.  A bigger motor would help too, but I am not looking to put that kind of money into more speed.

I have no experience with straked two toon boats, as my old Starcraft doesn't have strakes. 

My Starcraft has the power to pull skiers, but it handles like a pig.  I can tell you that I wouldn't want to pull kids behind it on tubes, as water sports require more maneuverable boats.  In case of any problem, a boater needs to get to their skier/tuber fast if there's any problem.

Despite added weight and drag of a middle toon (with strakes), I would think they'd increase your speed.  But how much, I have no idea. 

Your 135 hp Honda is kind'a rare on a Bennington, and it's a fine motor.  But it's in between most motors people talk about on this and other pontoon forums.

Have you considered talking to Bennington customer service?

My new Bennington with the Express Tubes and hydraulic steering does handle circles around my old pontoon boat.

I have sent two emails to bennington with no replies. I have a price from a couple dealers on the tube package...that comes with a straked tube and the underskinnig kit.  I failed to ask about the hydraulic steeering kit.  How much do they run and are they any problem to install?  I also failed to ask if the express tube is the same diameter as my tubes or a bigger. I understand some people put bigger tubes in the center.

I have sent two emails to bennington with no replies. I have a price from a couple dealers on the tube package...that comes with a straked tube and the underskinnig kit.  I failed to ask about the hydraulic steeering kit.  How much do they run and are they any problem to install?  I also failed to ask if the express tube is the same diameter as my tubes or a bigger. I understand some people put bigger tubes in the center.
25"

Hydraulic steering costs $700 ish, and might end up $1,100 after installation.  Keep your cable steering if you're satisfied.

My SeaStar hydraulic steering steers easily up to about 32 mph, and then it gets hard to make a tight turn. 

Unfortunately the power steering assist is another $1,800 plus installation.  It's also best to install a second battery and Perko electric switch.  But they say any boat over 150 hp really needs the power steering assist.

The Express Tube would look like your other toons, but it's just short in length to your current engine pod.  The larger diameter high performance center tubes are highly engineered, require the built in motor mount and fuel tanks and usually have a $1K extra in deck storage built in.  They're cost prohibitive as an add on.

I'd opt to buy the SPS full length center tube with strakes since the majority of the weight (loungers, etc.) on the F model is center to rearward. I feel that you would benefit from the extra buoyancy at the rear of the boat that a full length tube will offer.  Who am I kidding, I'm not a fan of the Express Tube Package.  I've driven them and they perform okay, but I don't care to feel every wave vibrate my arse each time the rear of the short center tube hits each wave right under my seat.  We run at speed in rough, choppy water on a routine basis. The ETP annoyed me to no end. The SPS is superior in that regard, as is the ESP.

I'm sure the SPS would be preferable, but labor to mount and re-rig the engine @ 110 per labor hour would be very expensive. The SPS tube will be much more as there's also a fuel tank and plumbing to pay for.

To switch to an Express Tube wouldn't be that difficult. A SPS is a different animal, and much more expensive for no more speed.

At that point, it'd be time to sell the two toon boat and order a boat that better meets your needs.

I don't believe all SPS's have the built in fuel tank, it is an option, just as is the in tube storage. At least it wasn't before, unless that's changed, my wife has blocked the build a boat section from me! Haha

I plan on ordering the Express package ,what is odd on the build site is they now offer a"Mega Pan with a 37 gallon fuel tank " But it is not available  with the express package .

With the express package isn't the center tube shorter ?

He already has the fuel tank on his boat. The std. SPS tube is as simple to install as the ETP. It's only a matter of removing / installing 4 bolts to hang the engine. Marinas do it on a daily basis. For the small price differential between the ETP and the SPS including installation, make a real tritoon out of it.

Problem is the boat is so long at 25 ft plus the trailer tongue that I will not have the option of  the extra length the full center tube and still park it in the pole barn. In addition the etp is simpler to install.  One other question:  My motor is already at the bottom most setting, so if I add the etp, will I have to install a jack plate?

Problem is the boat is so long at 25 ft plus the trailer tongue that I will not have the option of the extra length the full center tube and still park it in the pole barn. In addition the etp is simpler to install. One other question: My motor is already at the bottom most setting, so if I add the etp, will I have to install a jack plate?
Is the swing away tounge an option for you?

No I am not interested in the swing away tongue.  I already have around 800 invested in the brake system I installed, plus another 100 for my own guide on system for my bunks that I fabricated. I am limiting myself to the express tube package, if anything.  That is also going to cost me some time and money to add a center bunk.

Fiddlebick:

With the Express Tube, you don't really have to install a third bunk/supports for the center tube.

The Express Tube doesn't have the additional weight of the fuel tank and engine. And its 200 pound (approx.) weight is distributed over a number of cross members.

My boat rides just fine with my trailer being properly adjusted for the 2 toons.

I like the sound of that, 200 is not that much additional weight...about that of an additional adult.

I have another question that I posted on commodore's add a toon thread, but it is better asked on my own thread me thinks.  After I add a third toon, how hard is it to access the deck to install the underskinning?  Looks to me like it will be really tight quarters, with the third 25 inch tube under there...just by my rough measurements. 

I am still in the hunt on doing the third toon, just waiting on a financial problem to alleviate itself! 

Back