F90 Yamaha over reving upon startup in neutral

Wayne Dunham

Reaction score
I have a 2016 20SLX with a F90 Yamaha. Took the boat to my dealer in February to have the flooring replaced due to discoloration. While it was there I also had them replace the impeller, change the motor oil and gear oil. Got it back in March and parked in my shop. Today I go to start it in my driveway prior to putting it in the lake. Hooked up the garden hose to the muffs on the water intake. Throttle in the neutral position. Upon startup, motor revs wide open so I immediately shut it off. Does anybody have any idea what my dealer may have screwed up to cause my motor to do this? Thanks Oh, I will be taking it back to the dealer to fix what they screwed up.

Update. Took it back to dealer. Fixed it within 2 hours of dropping it off. Turns out, when re-assembling the boat after floor replacement, they neglected to re-connect the throttle cable correctly at the helm control lever. Back in the water and all is good now.
Glad to hear they got you taken care of and did right by you. Enjoy getting back out on the water again.

Back