Fault Codes on Q25 w/ Mercruiser 350 EC ?

Elephant

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2013 Bennington Q25 with 21 hours. I bought new and the day I got it, a "OBD service soon" notification was on my gauge. The dealer told me that it would eventually reset after an hour of so on the water. Fast forward to today and I have been having some real complications with the boat.

I have 4 notifications including 4 fault codes: Fault Codes: 17,31,33 & 71. 3 of these codes deal with Engine Sensor not operation property and or Oxygen Sensor not operating properly, the other fault code indicates a Miss Fire.

I replaced the O2 Sensor (4) as per the P0130 fault code and per a Authorized Mercruiser mechanic suggestion and the boat now starts up and runs like a sewing machine. But after 10-12 minutes, I get an alarm followed by erratic RPM and loss of about 50% power. If I put the boat back to neutral and wait about 10 seconds, I can then increase power.

Any one know of this problem? I have talked to about 3 mechanics and they all suggest I pull the boat out of the water but none of them seem to know anything other than- "you need to bring it in so I can see it". Anyway I can clear my fault codes or should I re-replace all the O2 sensors with new ones?

Yikes! Way out of my league to offer any advise but best of luck.

A 2013 with 21 hours ... how old is the gas???? Possibly shi**y gas if it’s really old. I’d run some fresh fuel, make sure it’s peeing good and not running cold or hot (thermostats). Cold running can throw codes as fuels not vaporizing properly. Hot will go into limp mode (limited power).
I wouldn’t just throw parts at it. You bought a boat ... pay the money and fix it right the first time. Why throw money at it with no idea, then spend the money with dealer anyhow ....

I'm one for troubleshooting as much as I can before taking anything in for service. Did you clear fault codes after having the OBD issue right after you got it? Just wondering if all of these codes are new or not. Has the engine been serviced recently? Water pump, oil change, spark plugs etc? Just trying to figure out if something changed and maybe introduced a problem.

I am very confused by a nearly seven-year-old boat with only 21 hours on it.

Back