Fenders and Dock Lines?

Frostecat

Reaction score
Okay, my topic got a little off topic yesterday, so here we go again.  I just purchased a 2002, 20" Bennington 205L.  I am in the process of purchasing the necessary items for our maiden voyage.

I keep debating between 6.5" and 8.5" fenders.  There is the possibility of some rafting off, boating in Lake Erie, but for the most part inland lake with some docking at restaurants.  I bought the 8.5" to start, and thought they were overkill so sent them back.  I then ordered the 6.5" and they look too small? 

Also, with docklines, I originally ordered 3 - 20 footers (1/2 inch), then read that I needed 2 - 15 footers and 1 - 20 footer?  If you have any suggestions, let me know.  Like the feel of the 1/2 inch better, but not sure if I should have stayed with the 20 footers.

Also, I need to be purchase an anchor - any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Show of hands for a small box anchor.

We can get a little off topic at times. It has been a long winter!!! Congrats on the new boat. Where do you boat in MI?

As for fenders I never use them as I keep my boat on a lift and never raft for fear of some other doofus damaging my boat. We get some good size waves on our lake so the boats can really move around a lot.

Will be boating in a little lake where we will have a cottage this summer Merry Lake, by Hillsdale.  We also plan on trailering it to Lake Erie to cruise up and down the Maumee River, and up north to the Torch Lake area.

I don't know that much about pontoons, was a power boater in a previous life, but from what I've read, I'm glad I went with the Bennington, albeit an older basic model.

Welcome: I second the box anchor as a must have.

Dock lines: 3 is plenty.

On Erie, your anchor line can fill in as a tow line in a pinch.

I would add a VHF radio since your on big water. That lake can get rough quick.

I use the bigger bumpers and the plastic rail hooks on a 25 footer.

Being more waves and mooring to other boats- I would use the search feature above. Maybe 3 tied horizontal along the tubes below the fence would be my idea.

The big bumpers fill up space quick is the downside. One guy at our marina carries a basketball pump and deflates his for storage.

Back