Fill it up!

I know this sounds dumb, and I’m not trying to sound cheap, but why the tip?
Do you tip the cashier inside? The mechanic? The sales clerk when you buy oil? Again, not trying to be an a**, just wondering? For those of you that have haul in/out do you tip them also?
I don’t let the kid pump my gas at dock, I do it .....

Went to the gas pumps at the local Benny dealership yesterday. Our fuel gauge fluctuates so once it gets to about quarter tank it's fill up time. Mid season price for ethanol free 89 octane..........$4.19 a gallon. It took 35 gallons and $146. Which meant that we still had 17 gallons left in the 52 gallon tank.........and we thought we were close to empty!
Went to the gas pumps at the local Benny dealership yesterday. Our fuel gauge fluctuates so once it gets to about quarter tank it's fill up time. Mid season price for ethanol free 89 octane..........$4.19 a gallon. It took 35 gallons and $146. Which meant that we still had 17 gallons left in the 52 gallon tank.........and we thought we were close to empty!
Wow liking these gas prices I'm reading ! Up here in Ontario I pay $6.47 gal. at my marina for premium - not allowed to bring your own gas to slips - still $5.76 a gal. at service stations - about $140.00 to fill up my boats 21 gallon tank

Our gas dock is attended during the summer by mostly college and high school students. They are polite, helpful, and seemingly responsible young citizens seeking gainful employment. Outside of summer, I pump my own gas.

Some small reasons beyond my point above:
- If we want a soda or something from inside the store, they will bring it out on request.
- We throw them a dock line, they tie us up.
- They shove us off. Yes, petty, but just one less thing to deal with.
- They take care of any spillage, on their hands, or on the dock.

I guess I'm weird. As I travel for business I also leave a tip for hotel services, porters, and valets.

The station where I buy gas is a full service station . I take the cans out of the car take off the spout and they fill it up .I put the spout back on and back in the car .
No Tip
Do you tip the cashier inside? The mechanic? The sales clerk when you buy oil? Again, not trying to be an a**, just wondering? For those of you that have haul in/out do you tip them also?

In TX, I don't think there is any such thing as a full-service gas station any more. In my limited "on the water" fueling at TX lakes (Conroe, Lake Livingston) there have not been any attendants.

Ethanol Free stations ,sort-able by state

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

The Pure Gas website is extremely helpful. In the greater Houston area, Harris County and all contiguous counties are prohibited by the EPA from selling ethanol-free on the street.

Last edited:
Those prices are crazy. That's why I carry cans!

i am paying $4.05 a gallon and by law we can’t carry cans into marina’s on our lake. Even if I could, there is no way I would do it. I grew up on a lake carrying 6 gallon cans for boat and vowed never again. And as I say, if you can’t afford th gas don’t buy the boat.

I can afford the gas,I just choose to spend the extra $2.00 more a gallon elsewhere .

I get it is all about choices. I don’t spend money in other areas so I can pay for marina gas.

I tip $5 per fill up, pretty much regardless of how much I am putting in the boat.

I tip for the following reasons at my marina:

They tie me up, fill the gas tank, are polite and cheerful high school and college age kids, and help me caste off. Since it is full service, and its polite and friendly service, I like to tip.

I also remember being broke while putting myself through college. I like to think I am paying forward any help people tossed my way when I did various service jobs in college many years ago.

Oh, and I get gas at a marina because that was part of my lake cottage/buying a boat pre-req. I don’t want my boating to be a chore to me. And I know myself. Hauling 15-30 gallons to the boat per fill up would turn into a chore for me, and that would turn into me avoiding the boat. That’s just me knowing myself. ;)

I want boating to be my escape from busting my behind in other areas of my life. Thus, I am happy to sacrifice something else to pay for full service fill ups or recreational marine fuel at the marina. :)

I tip boat hands also. They help bring you in and pump gas. I tip from $5 to $10 and occasionally a $20. Why because first they are helpful and two my boat is slipped at the marina I buy gas. Those kids will do anything for me because I get to know them and tip well. I had one text me last week to ensure my lift is working right. They keep my slip extra clean. Learned a long time ago that certain jobs and people are important to have aligned with you so I do my best to build a good relationship.

Like what other people have said.......most of the dock attendants are college or HS aged kids working for the summer ..... Trying to put money away for future expenses. If they are personable, friendly, help bring the boat in, tie up and most important......Fill it up w/out spilling any on the boat. We will tip them and thank them for doing a good job!

Back