Filling gas

lakefun

Reaction score
If I would have known I could not fill gas in my new pontoon I would have bought a different brand of boat. What a pain! Marina pump is 20 yards away and I have to haul 5 gal gas cans to the lake to fill the boat a little at a time because it will not fill from the pump. Apparently it is the venting system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never had an issue with mine, but I’ve heard of others with Bennington’s and with other brand boats, that have venting issues. Usually they are able to get things adjusted/changed, and getting it working more normalized from there. Not being mechanically inclined, I’ve never understood why some have issues, and others do not.

Anyway, I’m sorry to hear you are having such extreme issues, and hope it can get rectified for you soon. Usually people have more problems filling from cans, as opposed from a pump, so that seems particularly off. Again, hopefully something that can be corrected so you can better enjoy your boat.

I have a 2018 Bennington and live in CA . We have some of the nations toughest EPA restrictions.

That being said, I've never had any issues filling up!

Sorry you're having that problem

Your tank isn't venting. Obviously right? Check the lines to make sure nothing is pinched and that there aren't any low lying lines that will trap gas in them. If all that is ok and still won't fuel , do what I did and throw the charcoal canister in the trash and don't look back. Mine fuels as fast as the pumps now and when new I could barely get a couple of ounces in before the nozzle shut off.

Mine was actually plugged at the end of the line past the charcoal cannister where it vents to atmosphere but rerouted lines and scrapped the charcoal. Life is good now.

per forum RULES I edited some items out of the post that are not approved.

Contact your dealer to get the issue rectified. There are thousands of boats that fuel without any issues. Every now and then there is one with an issue. Usually a kinked or curved line, or issue with the vent.

I had issues with mine not taking fuel. My problem was the vent hose going back to the tank had a sag in it. There was a small amount of gas in it that was blocking it from venting. I pulled it off of the filler neck, blew through it, and then cut about 2 1/2 inches off of the line (all I could cut off and still re-attach it) and re-attached it to the filler neck. I have had no problems since then.

Your problem sounds like what I had. So, it is likely that the tank is not venting correctly. I know how frustrating not being able to fuel up is. Hopefully once fixed, you can enjoy your boat!

Mine has a drinking problem!
As long as I'm not constantly mashing that throttle getting that skiier out of the water it's not bad......

I have and others have had the same issue. Not a great answer but the issue and possible answer is the angle of the nozzle (for me and others). Try and hold the nozzle so it is shooting at 3 o’clock position. This has helped me (not perfect, but helped) and others with similar issue. It’s good enough for me that I don’t need to modify anything. A pain that we should not have to deal with, but this is Bennington’s dealing with EPA regs. Your specific issue may be more to deal with, but see if this option might work.

I had same problem, had to use the small white funnel that came with the boat - that is what it is for so it's a common problem. Best thing since sliced bread is the flo n go gas caddy, has two 10 gallon containers that are 60lbs each to lift full on and off a truck. comes with a carrier to easily roll down to the dock, then use the transfer hose - 8gpm! I typically pour 20 gallons at a time and it couldn't be easier, cheaper gas and a breeze - best upgrade I did!

I had same problem, had to use the small white funnel that came with the boat - that is what it is for so it's a common problem. Best thing since sliced bread is the flo n go gas caddy, has two 10 gallon containers that are 60lbs each to lift full on and off a truck. comes with a carrier to easily roll down to the dock, then use the transfer hose - 8gpm! I typically pour 20 gallons at a time and it couldn't be easier, cheaper gas and a breeze - best upgrade I did!
Rail - can you post a picture of the funnel you got? My dealer never heard of it. I’d like to show them a picture. Thanks

I know there are a bunch of great solutions here, but I would like to add what I know too, since this was very frustrating on our boat when we had to get gas. It finally reached the point where it really needed a solid solution for our 2013 22SSX when it took a combination of the fuel-dock guys, me, plus service tech guys 45 minutes to add just 4 gallons of gas to our half-full 30-gallon tank because the pump kept kicking off. My dealer had never seen anything like this. I did some online research, the dealer tried some things, then the dealer finally contacted Bennington to get a final solution.

I'm extremely pleased to say that has been multiple years ago now, and no fuel-fill problems have ever since come back to plague us.

Apparently, Bennington determined our particular boat was equipped with a simple Attwood Marine filler, but the overflow spring/cap assembly component had a spring tension that was too strong so it was causing splash-backs in the filler neck that caused the pump to keep kicking off. Sometimes (by chance) the fuel would go in a little better, depending on multiple concurrent variables (angle, flow rate, ...), but the solution was a simple new spring/cap with a lower tension strength. I also found out that apparently different models, and different years, might have different fuel fills, so your results may vary.

There are several great solutions here - so if you do have any fuel-fill issues, know there is hope. Good luck!

Add me to the list of Bennington's with a fueling issue! I am trying to add fuel from 5 gallon cans but it keeps coming back out. This is ridiculous for a boat like this. Time to call the dealer.

Called my dealer and he said to use a Shaker Siphon tube since the spout on the 5 gallon can is not long enough to get past the vent tube. Hard to find a long spout for these new fangled 5 gallon cans. What a pain.

Our Bennington came with a funnel that's needed if we fill our tank from a can.

Back