Finally In The Water

Alicedream

Reaction score
We were able to finally get the new 23 RCW in the water and get the first initial break in on the Yamaha completed.  The weather condition  were  not very good very windy and cool to cold but that did not deter us. My initial performance numbers were very good considering the awful conditions.I had 55 gallons of few fuel and 3 adults and a 100 pound dog. My top speed was 49.3( this was just me on the boat with the dog all other numbers were with 3 adults and dog) at 5900 RPMs and that was with about 28 gallons of fuel.  Early numbers at 5,800 RPMs were between 47.3 and 48.5.  I would call it a strong 45 to 47 MPH and with good conditions and proper trimming you can hit 49 to 50.  I will post my detaied specs in the spec thread. Although, I had been around boats and lakes my whole life and have lived on lakes for large portion of my life, I never understood prop science until I joined this forum.  I am always amazed at the wisdom in this community. I attached some pics from Maiden Voyage weekend. The one pic of the speed was on the first day and the worst winds with about 48 gallons of fuel. Very good reading regardless./monthly_2017_04/large.IMG_0721.JPG.4a607f5069dc0398fd6678247b2c85fd.JPG/monthly_2017_04/large.IMG_0714.JPG.5721daed107a0f02ffa3b02e2fd5ebe6.JPG/monthly_2017_04/large.IMG_0713.JPG.d0f017bc2c74f28933968d068510386b.JPG/monthly_2017_04/large.IMG_0711.JPG.7df71f453b303ad8616014eaa46cbb5f.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking ride and your weather conditions were way better than ours, we didn't even get to go out it due to non stop rain.

Nice looking ride and your weather conditions were way better than ours, we didn't even get to go out it due to non stop rain.

It rained by us also. We were able to get it in on Thursday after the rain but the winds were 25 MPH at times.  Also was able to get out Saturday and Sunday after the rain. Still windy but at least we got out.

That's a sweet boat! nothing like hanging out in the rear lounger and looking at that 300! I'm sure with some decent weather and a little bit of experience with the trim you'll be into the low 50's.  Also verify your engine height as that will effect your speed also. Sounds like the RPM is where you need it. Drive it like you stole it!! ;)  

animated-congratulation-image-0092.gif

Love The Pics 

That's a sweet boat! nothing like hanging out in the rear lounger and looking at that 300! I'm sure with some decent weather and a little bit of experience with the trim you'll be into the low 50's.  Also verify your engine height as that will effect your speed also. Sounds like the RPM is where you need it. Drive it like you stole it!! ;)  

Yes, I took a break while i was out on lake by myself when the wind calmed down for about 15 minutes and sat in one of the recliners and it's sweet looking off the back of the boat.  My engine height looks right,  took a yardstick to it and bottom of pontoon is even with the ventilation plate. It's spinning a 15.5 -17. I had read bulletins where the F300 was propped with a 15.5 -16 but it does not appear they use that pitch on these set-ups any more. I think I am in the sweet spot  but some good weather and a better feel for the trim might get me to 50. I am very happy with numbers that I was getting. Let's just put it this way it was windy as hell and cold but I had a ball breaking it in. 

Looks great! You'll have many days of better weather! Congratulations again!

This is a good reminder for me to check my mounting height while it is on the trailer. I've always suspected it is one hole too low but I don't want it to blow out in the turns.

It is habit for me to start trimming down in turns, if it is an emergency turn even if you blow out you will still make the turn.  I always had to trim down on my bowrider in turns anyway, so I don't even know I am doing it.

If your lake warms up much in the summer, you will lose speed.  Your best speeds come now, when the water is cold.

F200 I had maybe lost a 1MPH when water was real warm. I will also gain some speed when conditions are better the wind was just awful. 

Back