Finding the right prop

mbhenry1955

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a 2250 ESP with a 250 Honda. 

Run great. 47 mph at 6000 and cruise at 25 mph at about 3200. 

I'm turning a Honda prop 14x19 and the motor is mounted 1 hole up  

At cruising speed with 25 gals fuel and 2 people and trimmed about 1/8 to 1/4 up in anything but smooth water I get a little cavitation every time we go over some waves   

What prop might help this? We (the dealer and I) are going to start testing props. 

Maybe a Enertia? I don't want a 4 blade. 

I love the Enertia on our 150 Honda. Wish I had the 250.  :)

Not a prop or boat expert by any means but I do own a 2250 with a Yamaha 250.  Have a few questions before you change props.     1) what length shaft is on the Honda 250? And 2) have you run the boat with the motor mounted in the lowest setting?   I've run two props first being a 15 1/4 by 18 Yamaha sws11 that ran 47 but only at 5400, held water fine with 25 inch shaft mounted in lowest position.   My new prop is a 15 1/2 by 16 and rpms are up but not sure exactly where as the boat has been in the slip all year and have certainly lost speed and rpm from the bottom growth.  The water is warm enough my kids are getting in but I'm not tough enough to get in and clean it up yet.  This prop also seems to have good grip.   I guess my first suggestion would be to either drop the motor (if you've never had it mounted there) or get a larger diameter prop as 14 seems a little small for such a heavy boat.   Sorry for the chapter book. Ken over at band of boaters  (props and performance section) is quite the expert in such matters and is quick to reply to questions (sells props) 

IMHO....don't count out a 4 blade until you've evaluated it...just sayin... I've had 4 blade for 2 summers so far....LOVE IT ....but this summer I'm going to run with the SDS reliance 14.5x15 3 blade  to see what it has to offer..... I'll give my 4 blade vs 3 blade  opinion come Sept some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jb75,

I could be wrong on the 14" diameter as it may be 14.25 or 14.5. No markings on the prop but I do know that its 19P.

We are going to try a few different props (3 and 4 blade) and experiment with dropping the motor down to the transom.

The Honda Rep is coming in in a couple of weeks to help.

There is not much test info on the Honda 250 on pontoons.

Jb75,

I could be wrong on the 14" diameter as it may be 14.25 or 14.5. No markings on the prop but I do know that its 19P.

We are going to try a few different props (3 and 4 blade) and experiment with dropping the motor down to the transom.

The Honda Rep is coming in in a couple of weeks to help.

There is not much test info on the Honda 250 on pontoons.

Sounds great.  Keep me posted on how it all shakes out.  Prop/motor height is something I'm still sorting out myself as I want the best all around performance I can get as I'm sure you do.  Pretty awesome the Honda rep is helping.  

Ok. The test was today and we tried 2 props. (others were ordered, but didn't come in yet)

Engine is mounted 1 hole up.

The 1st. on was supposed to be a 14 x 21P Mercury Tempest prop.

Well, we didn't look at the prop when we took it out of the box. We just mounted, then tested it.

We could only achieve 4000 RPM's. Well when we pull ed off we found out that Mercury had boxed it wrong. It was a sealed box and it ended being a 14 x 25p. Well that was too much.

Then  next prop that we tested was a Mercury 14 x 19p Enertia prop.

WOW, what a difference,

Here is the differences on today's test.

The out of  the hole was extremely fast and I had NO cavitation at any speed of trim level and the boat cornered like a Indy car.

Conditions: Very windy, lake was white capping! 82 degrees and humid and overcast.

RPM's              Honda Prop;              Mercury Enertia

4000                26.3 mph                    30 mph

5000                35.5                            38

6000                42.4                             46.5 

I think if the water was smooth I could coax 47+ out of it!!!

My dealer said that  when the seasonal business slows down he  may try 2 holes up!!

I am grateful to my dealer, Steve's Marine in Liberty Indiana for making the testing happen. Because Bennington had no test info, therefore no prop recommendations for the Honda 250.

My Dealer is passing all the test info back to the factory for future reference.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I will Jb.

Honda's are great boat motors! I tested a 225 on another boat, and it was probably the quietest 200+ hp engine I had ever run/heard.  How's the 250?

Enjoy that motor now that you are getting it dialed in.  Looking forward to reading about your results after playing around with the engine hole mount.

Happy boating!

Honda's are great boat motors! I tested a 225 on another boat, and it was probably the quietest 200+ hp engine I had ever run/heard.  How's the 250?

Enjoy that motor now that you are getting it dialed in.  Looking forward to reading about your results after playing around with the engine hole mount.

Happy boating!

After the boat show in Charlotte my wife and I test drove a boat with a 350 Mercury Verado on the back. If the pee stream wasn't coming out I wouldn't have known that the motor was even on. Super quiet and scary fast!

Yeah if I didn't own an I/O, that Mercury Verado is def. what I would have on the back of my boat.  Those things are awesome.

Happy boating!

When I'm idling, all I hear is the pee stream! When I'm running at WOT with the bimini closed I hear nothing but wind. When we have the bimini open I do hear very little out of the engine because of the because the any noise is reflected down from the bimini.

Back