First pontoon

Lil Spooky OH6A

Reaction score
Hello all. Have been reading the forum a couple of months and have now joined. I have a question. I bought a new 21 SLX two tube at the Indy boat show, champagne with matador red trim. It will be delivered to Lake Monroe (11,000 acres) late April. I upgraded from the Merc CS 50 hp to the Merc CS 60 hp. We like to loiter around the lake, relax, anchor and swim, etc. will pull the grandkids in a tube 2 or 3 times a summer. They live 6 hours away. Most of the time there will be 2 to 4 adults on the boat. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Merc 90 hp for more speed from point A to B. Your thoughts? Thanks. BTW, I'm not interested in a 115hp. Basically want to know if there is much diff in a 60 and 90.

No one ever said I wish I had a smaller motor. Does your boat have lifting strakes? BTW, Welcome.

Hello all. Have been reading the forum a couple of months and have now joined. I have a question. I bought a new 21 SLX two tube at the Indy boat show, champagne with matador red trim. It will be delivered to Lake Monroe (11,000 acres) late April. I upgraded from the Merc CS 50 hp to the Merc CS 60 hp. We like to loiter around the lake, relax, anchor and swim, etc. will pull the grandkids in a tube 2 or 3 times a summer. They live 6 hours away. Most of the time there will be 2 to 4 adults on the boat. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Merc 90 hp for more speed from point A to B. Your thoughts? Thanks. BTW, I'm not interested in a 115hp. Basically want to know if there is much diff in a 60 and 90.
I had a 90 on a 2275 fsi with regular pontoons, it went very well.

I’d think the 90hp would be a nice step to help a little bit with tubing with your grandkids. If you can do it, I’d recommend it. However, being in budget is good, and if a 60hp gets you on the water, then so be it. Better than not being on the water. :)

Last edited:
I agree with the 90. Phu Loi 70

Welcome home. I worked on Cobras and was a crew chief.

My uncle flew Cobra’s, and did so eventually as safety and flight commander at Fort Campbell when he retired in the 1980’s.

Thanks, everyone. I will let you know what happens and also post a pic when I get that beauty. The Indianapolis boat show is a reasonably large event with a lot of pontoons. I looked, touched, sat in, etc, but I was always drawn back to the Bennington display. Looks like I made the right decision. Can't wait til I pass by another "Benny" for the first time and get and give that knowing wave. Thanks, again.

Back