First Weekend Performance

Dennis T.

Reaction score
Hello All, first weekend out on the lake. I bought a 2014 SSLX Tri with 200HP Yamaha (silver low emissions, 200F i think), 105 hours on motor and 150 hour service done early. it has the SPS package as well. there is a stainless prop on the motor, the previous owner said he spent @ $500 on that prop. The toons are dirty, the previous owner says he gets 7 to 8 more MPH when they are power washed and clean. I used 93 octane non ethanol gas. 4 passengers and full gear, Bimini up, I hit 29.5 MPH top speed. Trim was about in the middle, maybe a hair up. I have seen others post about getting over 40 on the same set up. If i get 8 MPH from clean toons, where do i get the other 6 or 7 MPH? what would Bimini be worth if down and weight reduction if running solo? anything else I am missing? thanks! DT

Don't run full speed with the bimini open. The tag states not to do this. But that is not your issue. Dirty toons will make a difference for sure. We keep ours on a lift so I haven't had to worry about this. I have the same exact boat you have, same layout, motor, SPS, stainless reliance prop (15 pitch) and I can hit 44.4 with just me on the boat. With some additional adults I can still hit 40. I suggest trimming up until you hear it start to blow out so you know your range on where you can play with it. For me at top speed I trim about 3/4 the way up. It's amazing at how much finessing the trim can make a difference on your speed. Where do you boat?

What are the numbers on the prop?

thanks Y'all, i will get the #'s on the prop next time i am at the dock. LakeLiving---so glad you replied, i know you have the same boat and that helps a ton. I was running 22 MPH at 4000 RPM and that seemed like our best cruising speed. at that top speed of 29.5 we were running just over 5000 RPM's. I was trimmed up some like between 1/2 and 3/4. if i went higher it would ventilate (or other word) and RPM's would go up and speed down. I will wait for spring to clean the tubes. no lifts on our marina, but glad to have a slip for sure. We are on Cherokee Lake in East Tennessee. we live between that lake and Douglas Lake, both are TVA dammed lakes, but my marina has year around water and is on main channel. CWAG911--- I am dumber than rocks on props, i know diameter, pitch and hardness matter, and i will get numbers off of the stainless prop i have and post. I am posting pics later tonight of the weekend and have a short video of the wake and dash running the 4000 RPM 22 mph i believe. thanks again !!! DT and family.

Sounds like a lot of drag on those toons. I also raised my motor one hole recently as well. I seem to get less spray on the outboard now. Be careful lugging the motor too. I can't remember but the f200 has a particular range at which it should be running wot. I should do a video of mine to show the speeds at various rpm's

What length boat? I've got a 2017 24SSBXP w/ SPS and the 200hp yamaha but only briefly hit WOT b/c still breaking in with about 6 hours only but I've seen 42.5 mph on the GPS trimmed about 60-70% up on the gauge. 15 pitch prop also btw

If the toons are really dirty I would think that could be your only problem.When I put my 2013 sslx tritoon w/ 150 yam in the water new I would see 41 mph.Now that its several yrs old, when the toons are cleaned I will see 38mph,that's when I put it in the water in April.by the end of July I am lucky to see 24 to 25mph.Take it out and clean the toons and its back to 37,38 mph. It has a 15 pitch alum Yamaha prop.

thanks All. I took it out again this weekend of course. Got it to 30.2 MPH at 5150 to 5200 RPM's with 4 total riders and gear. that was all she had, which was plenty. sounds like previous owner was correct in the 7 to 8 MPH from clean toons. If so we should be at 38 MPH with clean toons, I will check that out. Prop: looked at it as well and it is a Yamaha Reliance Series prop with "15-M 14 1/2 " printed on it. only one issue, late sunday hit a rock. geeked up a perfectly good SS prop. only lost 1 mph that i could tell after the incident (was in 40 ft of water, rock not marked on GPS), but need to have the motor checked out for vibration and get a new prop for next year correct? anything else i am missing post incident? i can post pics of the prop if needed, not useless but will want new one soon. DT

What length boat? I've got a 2017 24SSBXP w/ SPS and the 200hp yamaha but only briefly hit WOT b/c still breaking in with about 6 hours only but I've seen 42.5 mph on the GPS trimmed about 60-70% up on the gauge. 15 pitch prop also btw
24", 2014 SSLX. thanks.

Sounds like a lot of drag on those toons. I also raised my motor one hole recently as well. I seem to get less spray on the outboard now. Be careful lugging the motor too. I can't remember but the f200 has a particular range at which it should be running wot. I should do a video of mine to show the speeds at various rpm's
thanks Lake Living. one more thing: my motor is on the lowest setting (top hole). and as noted my best trim is 75% (3/4 mark) or a little down from that. any more and i cavitate (air) and start to slip. DT

You can have that prop repaired and you'll never know the difference.

ok i will post pics tonight to show the damage. anything else i need to check? do i need the bottom end of the motor checked? (cant recall the technical term).

ok i will post pics tonight to show the damage. anything else i need to check? do i need the bottom end of the motor checked? (cant recall the technical term).
Lower Unit.

When you get the prop repaired they may be able to help out with more lip and create some more top end for you.

Sounds like you just need some tuning. Raising the motor to the correct height and getting the prop correct can make a huge difference!
I’m in the ball park with Lakeliving and can get 41.5 mph out of boat with a small block 200hp. I trailer mine so dirty toons aren’t an issue but something just doesn’t seem right for you???

Last edited:
Sounds like you just need some tuning. Raising the motor to the correct height and getting the prop correct can make a huge difference!
I’m in the ball park with Lakeliving and can get 41.5 mph out of boat with a small block 200hp. I trailer mine so dirty toons aren’t an issue but something just doesn’t seem right for you???
UPDATE: did what the smart folks on this site suggested: worked with trim, lowered top all the way and went out solo. got to 35.4 mph. as stated before the prop is dropping me 1mph (at least) and the previous owner stated a 6 to 7 mph improvement with the clean toons. So that puts me right at where the yall are at with the same set up, @ 43-44 mph top end. thanks!IMG_1527.JPG

UPDATE: did what the smart folks on this site suggested: worked with trim, lowered top all the way and went out solo. got to 35.4 mph. as stated before the prop is dropping me 1mph (at least) and the previous owner stated a 6 to 7 mph improvement with the clean toons. So that puts me right at where the yall are at with the same set up, @ 43-44 mph top end. thanks!View attachment 21530
Time to erase your "Breadcrumbs".

Sounds like your getting there. The advise above all great from some good experts. They all sure helped me figure out propping my boat last year!

I just wanted to congratulate you on the new boat. Once the toons are clean and the prop repaired I think you’ll be set.

Back