Fish Finder

safaucette

Reaction score
I would like to purchase a fish finder. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best kind or even a specific model? I would be using it to do some basic fishing with my kids. 

Where will you be fishing? Small lake? Big lake? How deep?  How much are you wanting to spend?  What kind of boat?  Do you want/need a GPS?  I've owned Garmin and they're pretty easy to use, but you want to define your use before you spend the money.  

If you're just fishing with the kids, then a no-frills sonar/transducer will be fine.  If you want to get serious then you'll want to be looking at CHIRP technology that gives you sidescan sonar for better results - but then those transducers cost more money.

Start with those questions above and we can narrow down the field for you.

Check out the Humminbird Helix line of units. I bought a Helix 5 with DI/GPS and love it. I put it on a ram mount and installed it on the side of the helm console. Wish I had stepped up to a Helix 7 just so it would be easier to see from the bow while fishing, but it works.

My boat came with the striker which is a good no frills unit for locating depth and structure but not so much for cover. I put a Hummingbird 197c DI on my trolling motor which is an upgrade from the stock system but still not to costly and gives some decent detailed images of stuff under water. I think I paid 149$ for it a few years ago but now I think you can get it for less than that. Not a bad unit and it does not take up a ton of room. Does what I need it to do and for the price I couldn't beat. It's probably the lower end of the Down imagery units but it still shows some decent detail under the water. I have yet to find any real complaints except maybe a bigger screen.

I had a Garmin 53DV in last boat. Worked great for the price. I now have Simrad GO5. Still figuring it out but as a fishfinder...... you need a magnifying glass to see the symbols unless you zoom the screen in. 

I have a 2012 20SL that comes with the factory Garmin that seems to be stuck in the demo mode. Is this unit shot?

Where can I buy another one or upgraded one that will fit where this one is?  Mounted to the right of steering wheel and flush on front of dash. Don't want one that mounts on top.

I have a 2012 20SL that comes with the factory Garmin that seems to be stuck in the demo mode. Is this unit shot?

Where can I buy another one or upgraded one that will fit where this one is?  Mounted to the right of steering wheel and flush on front of dash. Don't want one that mounts on top.

Call Garmin support.  They have a great support group.

Also, what model of Garmin and how old?  Might still be under warranty.  If out of warranty they have a refurb program that for about $150 they'll swap yours out with a new (refurbished) one of the same make and model.

I have a GPSMAP 547xs and a echoMAP CHIRP 74sv w/GT-51M-TM transducer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you actually try to take it out of demo mode in the settings?

Have a Garmin 50c that I ordered with the boat, don't have much to compare it too but the GPS works awesome with the inland lakes in it. As for the fish finder.... looks really good but I wouldn't even know what I'm looking at! :)   I just know my fishing buddies are always drooling over it. 

Call Garmin support.  They have a great support group.

Also, what model of Garmin and how old?  Might still be under warranty.  If out of warranty they have a refurb program that for about $150 they'll swap yours out with a new (refurbished) one of the same make and model.

I have a GPSMAP 547xs and a echoMAP CHIRP 74sv w/GT-51M-TM transducer.

I called and they were no help.

I called and they were no help.

Mine was also stuck on "demo" when I bought it. I think the dealer found that the wires weren't connected under the helm. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the Humminbird Helix line of units. I bought a Helix 5 with DI/GPS and love it. I put it on a ram mount and installed it on the side of the helm console. Wish I had stepped up to a Helix 7 just so it would be easier to see from the bow while fishing, but it works.
Jabo, do you have any photos of this setup you can show. I am about to upgrade and I am trying to decide where to mount a 7" - 9" unit. Thanks

IMG_4119.JPG

I have a Helix 7 and used a Ram mount on the dash. Stands up and rotates to see it from different spots on the boat and lays down in the center of the dash for "transport" mode. It doesn't interfere with any switches or block any guages when it's stood up. I used a small block of hardwood under the helm to reinforce it and stainless machine screws. This pic is from my last boat. My new one has the premium helm and the layout is different but the same unit is mounted the same way and it works perfectly! The new helm probably has room for a Helix 9 but the one in the pic might be kinda tight with a 9" screen.

just got mine back from the shop, Lowrance Hook2 9" installed and looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_3702.JPG
    IMG_3702.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3701.JPG
    IMG_3701.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 73
Back