For Newbies and Future Owners

Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
There are many things to consider when you purchase your Benny new or used but especially USED,
Many of my friends say I just got a great deal on a Used or New Boat
Their happiness sometimes is short lived when reality sets in
I had a friend of mine purchase a boat on one of our rivers but he had no idea how to get it home since a trailer didnt come with it and then became frustrated to hear the cost of a trailer!!! So here is an article for the newbies to be, consider everything:)

logo@2x.png

Buying a Boat Can Be Affordable
So you’ve been on friends' boats enough times now to know you just might want one of your own. But what to buy—what sort of boat do you want? What would you use it for? What’s a best-fit for you and your family? What would you do with it when you’re not using it? Of course the toughest question might be saved for last—how much boat can you afford?

Getting organized and answering these questions to the best of your ability is the way to cut the uncertainty down, one question at a time. Here’s some help, so you can focus on your dream—getting out on the water on your own, and maybe even inviting friends aboard.

Need To Know
Upfront Consideration And Costs
Of course there’s the up-front purchase cost of a boat to consider. Before talking money, the first step is figuring out how you want to spend your time on the water. You might want a fishing boat, or a runabout for family fun. Perhaps a cruiser that could house your family overnight for extended trips is the ticket, or a specialty craft like a pontoon boat for family parties and outings. Keep in mind some of these types of boats can easily serve several purposes; for example, a pontoon boat with enough power can be the “family truckster” while still performing as a very capable ski/water sports towboat and fishing platform. An offshore style fishing craft can double as a family fun boat if properly equipped.

Visit our Boat Type Selector to help identify the boat style that’s right for you by selecting your preferred activities, number of passengers and more criteria for your ideal boat.

Once you’ve identified favorite activities, calculating how much you want to spend is the next step. How much boat can you afford? Using that number, you can decide how to formulate your boating purchase. If you’re financing the purchase, remember that your credit rating will factor into your purchase; since this is a discretionary purchase, don’t tie up needed cost-of-living funds in your boat. Here are some costs to consider when buying, besides the cost of the boat:

• Trailer: if you need a trailer to transport and store, this could add to the purchase price; sometimes it can be included as part of the package deal (it pays to bargain!). This is common practice at dealerships, boat shows and especially seasonal dealer sales events; when the trailer may mean making the sale for the dealer, it’s often included.
  • Insurance: You’ll need at least liability coverage, and likely damage coverage—especially if it’s a newer rig. Often lenders will require comprehensive coverage on a financed purchase. It’s smart money in the long run, in case of accident or theft—your boat is covered!
  • Education and License: Most states require some type of boaters’ safety course and operator’s license.
  • Storage options: You may want a cover, a top, or maybe even consider renting inside storage if you can’t keep the boat at your home or on your property. Summer and winter storage are two different animals, where the climate is colder. Winter storage in colder climes typically involves winterization prep for engine and boat, as well as durable coverage where snow, rain and winter winds have potential for damage.
  • Equipment and accessories: Of course safety gear (life vests, paddle, horn, signal flares, etc.) should be considered as part of any boat purchase. No need to buy everything you can think of all at once; a good plan is to "treat your boat" every spring and fall to a new accessory or upgrade. with accessories like stereos, lighting, ski/watersports towing equipment, etc. Spend wisely and you’ll enjoy your boat and all the summer fun it brings.

Good Luck
When You Buy A Benny
You Can't Go Wrong

brandlogo.22.jpg

3.jpg

One of my neighbors bought a jetboat that came on a trailer. It was a good deal but he really didn't think it through. He doesn't have a vehicle to tow it. He keeps it in a slip across from mine. Every spring we launch it and every fall we retrieve it. What are neighbors for right???

Daril, he thought it through all right. He thought, “hey, I got a nice neighbor that can put this in and take it out for me each year, and I get the trailer to help store it in the off season.” Win-win. lol

Daril, he thought it through all right. He thought, “hey, I got a nice neighbor that can put this in and take it out for me each year, and I get the trailer to help store it in the off season.” Win-win. lol

His wife mentioned to my wife yesterday afternoon that they are going to put it up for sale soon. They really didn't use it like they thought they were.........

One less launch and retrieval........Whew!

Speaking of putting boats in the water, when is the Big Kahuna being launched? I need a trailer. :D

Speaking of putting boats in the water, when is the Big Kahuna being launched? I need a trailer. :D

Probably some time in April Carl. More maintenance?!?

Oil change and lower unit with water pump. Why so late in the season?

Oil change and lower unit with water pump. Why so late in the season?
I'm pretty sure we put it in April last year too. Remember..... Diane wants to swim and hang out when we go out. April is still a bit chilly for her so we're kinda pushing it. Also I have to remove and replace several boards on the dock across from us. The lot where we usually slip is pending sale.....

I'm pretty sure we put it in April last year too. Remember..... Diane wants to swim and hang out when we go out. April is still a bit chilly for her so we're kinda pushing it. Also I have to remove and replace several boards on the dock across from us. The lot where we usually slip is pending sale.....
You better get moving!

Back